Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
towing procedure
bb1 - Tuesday, 15 April, 2014, at 9:56:39 am
Hello folks - I need to get my Boxster towed into the shop (water pump failure). I have a question about the towing procedure. The tow truck will be a flat bed type. But I'm not clear if they can safely load the car from the back of the Boxster, or if the Boxster's front needs to be facing the wrecker (car is in a garage @ the end of a narrow driveway --- so unclear if I'll have to somehow get the Boxster turned around before it can be safely loaded).

Thanks in advance for the information.
Re: towing procedure
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 15 April, 2014, at 10:15:18 am
There are instructions in your owners manual.

In your tool kit, you should have a towing hook. It can be screwed into either the front or rear of the car. Depending on model year, there is a small round disc to remove in the front bumper cover. Behind it you can attach the towing hook. There's also one behind the rear licence plate.

I think either one can be used, you just have to be sure the flatbed ramp isn't too steep to damage the front bumper when pulling it onto the flatbed.

Also make sure there are no metal parts on the tie downs that would damage the wheels.
db997S - Tuesday, 15 April, 2014, at 10:18:38 am
Both times my Boxster was towed (IMS failure and AOS failure), it was loaded on the flatbed front first via towing hook. If you can safely push the car down the driveway, you can then have it loaded front first. With the IMS, i was in a hotel parking lot (surface parking), so the tow truck driver and I pushed it out into the main lot area. With the AOS, I always back into garage, so it was an easy tow via the front tow hook. Maybe you and the driiver hcan push it out, or if you have a significant other/spouse, they can help you push (sit in car and brake and steer if driveway really narrow) while you push. I've noticed that my Porsches have been relatively easy to push.
I've had my Boxster towed (flat bedded) several times, and every time the car was pulled onto the truck bed nose first. An argument can be made to do this tail first as the clearance is better. (For instance, I can back my Boxster up on ramps but the same ramps will not fit under the front of the car, under the nose. They interfere with the body/bumper cover.)

Note the car should not be secured to the truck with the tow eye but every tow truck operator does it.
whall - Tuesday, 15 April, 2014, at 10:58:32 am
Here's a link for AAA's instructions for towing Porsches:

[www.aaabizlink.com]

I printed out a copy and put it in the trunk.....just in case I needed a tow and the truck driver didn't know how to tow my car.

Bill
If its a flatbed...
grant - Tuesday, 15 April, 2014, at 1:25:55 pm
... just put the car in neutral and winch it up, any direction shoudl work, except maybe sideways

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sideways... grinning smiley
Roger987 - Tuesday, 15 April, 2014, at 5:20:43 pm
Or upside down, unless the sun visors are retracted first.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2014 05:22PM by Roger987. (view changes)
Just make sure that ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 15 April, 2014, at 4:53:56 pm
... You have some wood planks to reduce the angle so that the nose doesn't scrape.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Just make sure that ...
bb1 - Tuesday, 15 April, 2014, at 9:58:28 pm
Folks - thanks for the many replies here. While it's not good for you, it is nice to know that others have gone through the same predicament.
San Rensho - Wednesday, 16 April, 2014, at 1:18:13 am
Keep the tow hook in the pouch behind the drivers seat. Why? The most likely cenario for tow is going to be dead battery and guess what, unless you are very prepared, you are not going to get into the frunk where the tow hook is with a dead battery.

Be sure the tow truck driver does not attach any tie downs to,the suspension. They love using chains and cranking them down hard on suspension members. Be sure they only use cloth straps through the wheels.
bb1 - Wednesday, 16 April, 2014, at 8:41:04 am
good suggestion.....lots of procedures to remember when owning these cars smiling smiley
bb1 - Wednesday, 16 April, 2014, at 8:47:52 am
dumb question maybe - but even with a dead battery I am not sure why I couldn't access the stuff in the front boot? maybe you have a newer Boxster w/ an electronic switch? as far as I can tell mine is just a cable-type switch
Being a track rat...
grant - Wednesday, 16 April, 2014, at 9:20:46 am
i have not removed the tow hook from my bumper for *years*.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
AAA has a Boxster towing (flat bed) procedure
tom coughlin - Wednesday, 16 April, 2014, at 8:50:33 am
I remember finding it on-line. Even if you don't use AAA, I'm sure that you can hand it to your guy. I suspect I found it on the AAA website. Good Luck
I had a link to it on my web site but it is no longer posted on the AAA web site and I can't seem to google it.
Re: AAA has a Boxster towing (flat bed) procedure
whall - Thursday, 17 April, 2014, at 1:03:27 pm
Check this AAA link:

[www.aaabizlink.com]

Bill
Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login