Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Who can identify this cable linkage
EricG - Friday, 18 April, 2014, at 12:42:11 pm
I started working on my short shifter only to discover that it had been changed before. One of the sign is this part. Anyone can identify it ?

Re: Who can identify this cable linkage
EricG - Friday, 18 April, 2014, at 1:16:02 pm
Do you recognize this ?

[
Re: Who can identify this cable linkage
EricG - Friday, 18 April, 2014, at 3:11:41 pm
We'll bad news that aftermarket shift link doesn't fit the b&m shifter. There was already sign of the shift link rubbing on the carpet. Now, with the b&m, it's to long and I can't put it back. Got to find a oem. Is IT Worth considereing an EVO ?
Better yet ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 18 April, 2014, at 4:12:07 pm
... why don't you get the original linkage and use the B&M.

You'll need items 10 and 11 in the diagram.

Item 10: 996.424.145.01 and 996.424.445.00
Item 11: 996.424.147.00

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Better yet ...
EricG - Friday, 18 April, 2014, at 8:04:02 pm
Thanks Pedro ..

I don't think I'll need 10. It's still the original. The previous owner only changed the link attaching to the right cable. And a bad job it was too, they even cut the plastic assembly to allow the aftermarket link to slide. Not even mentioning the link rubbing on the carpet. angry smileyI had found the part 11, the original part is made of plastic and there are after market link like the EVO that Eric the bumper plug guy is selling

EVO cable link

But considering the price difference , 21$ vs 118$. I'm wondering if it's worth it !!!.

The sad things is I had it all done ready to reassemble, but with the public holiday service is not open at the dealer. My boxster is now gut open waiting for a shifter confused smiley
Re: Better yet ...
EricG - 9 years ago
Just a quick update....

Got the eom part yesterday evening at a local dealership and installed it tonight... Put everything back together and went for a test drive ... Everything is OK , the new b&m shirt shifter is working perfectly. Not much travel improvement now that I realize I swapped a short shifter for a short shifter, but I now have the pride to say I did it myself and can now tell what the mod really is...

As for the part that was in there, it's seems that the shift link is a earlier version of the EVO, the shifter seemed to be extracted out of the OEM short shifter assembly with upgraded bushing. Maybe someone can confirm based on the posted picture or maybe I'll never really know.

Just glad to have completed the mod and have the car back on the road.

Thanks again Pedro !
Thanks Boxsterra,

Now I wonder what shifter was recommanded to use with those "alloy bushing" ? Manufacturer standard shifter ?
You remove the stock plastic bushings and put in the EVO ones for better shifting precision.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2014 11:37AM by Boxsterra. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login