Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
A very nice 918 Spyder on display there, along with a beautiful Targa.

Here are a few pics...full write-up of the show should be at the usual place by Monday :-)

I love ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 18 April, 2014, at 4:49:01 pm
... the Alfa.
My local Fiat dealer has one on the showroom floor and I can't get enough of it.
They should make me an offer I can't refuse winking smiley
Happy Alfa'ing?
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
If I recall correctly, the price is competitive with the 981. Reminds me of a lotus elise, which takes some contortioning on entering and existing.
The car companies realized that having food and a barista at the booth on press day will pretty much guarantee lots of foot traffic.
I was on my third espresso before I realized I needed to pace myself!

That is when I switched to mimosas...
It is not a car show if there aren't cars which are fantasies for the average person.
They are either not-really affordable, not yet available, or just an idea of what may come.

Here are a few cars along those lines which caught my fancy:

1. This is BMW's response to Porsche's 918 Spyder. Like the Spyder, the BMW i8 is all electric. It makes extensive use of carbon fiber composites to keep the weight down without sacrificing strength. Those winged doors felt feather-light to lift. However, those types of door makes getting in and out of the car a bit awkward as one has to step over a hump while trying to slide down into the seat at the same time....think getting in/out of the bathtub without standing up.

Oh yeah...there are back seats to the car.

2. This is a concept 3-wheel vehicle from Toyota. It has no steering wheel. The vehicle is controlled by the shifting of the driver's body weight. The windshield has a full heads-up display for GPS, car info, and other data.

Finally...a Big Wheel for grownups!

Here is another shot of that Toyota concept trike... Looks comfortable for long trips :-) You don't really sit in it, but more straddle it like a horse.

3. Smart Cars have pared down a model to just two wheels. This all-electric bike will be available for the price of a Vespa.

While $3K is expensive for a bike, it is pretty cheap for a scooter...so maybe not a fantasy after all!

4. I don't even know what this is, but I thought the push out vertical door was kind of cool.
Always nice to see those fantasies. Thanks for sharing those. I always find the Lambo type doors interesting to look at, but certainly would want them for the (at least it seems like) inconvenience. The only time you ever notice the difference with that type of door is when their open at a car show or the moment when someone gets in or out.

Just one correction. Neither the 918 Spyder nor the 8i are all electric. They're both hybrids - gas/electric.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2014 12:17PM by RainyDayGarage. (view changes)
I guess you have to be careful which side you plug in and which side you fill'r up. smiling smiley

I also just noticed that the windstop in the 918 Spyder is made of plexiglass like the Boxster's used to be. Still can't figure out why they use the mesh screen in the 981. ...hmmmm maybe that helps you tell them apart. winking smiley
The black car with the 'vertical door' is a Koenigsegg
Roger987 - Saturday, 19 April, 2014, at 12:50:10 pm
They are very, very, quick.

[www.koenigsegg.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login