Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
The top on my 2008 is having a little trouble closing properly. The trouble is on the passenger side, but I doubt the side is an issue. When the top closes the edge with a thin rubber gadget is outside the plastic piece that covers the window. To help clarify, the thin rubber piece is not visible when the top closes properly. It folds in behind the curved plastic piece that sits at the top of the window. I can get it to close properly by closing the top half way and nudging the top to close properly, but or course, I'd rather it work properly. And maybe things could get worse if not fixed.

Is this something that I can adjust? How? Or should I take to to a shop? What kind of shop might now more about this - mechanical or body shop?

thanks

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson

If that's the problem your car is suffering from old age.
There's an elastic strap sewn to the underside of the soft top's material that pulls back on the top so that the cable is forced inwards when the top is being closed.
I can almost guarantee that the strap lost it's elasticity.
You can replace it yourself if you're handy.
First, look at it until you find the problem. Make sure it is the elastic band.
If it is, you can buy it by the foot at any arts and craft store.
If you're not good sewing you can use a stapler to staple the new strap in place.
If you use the stapler press the ends of the staple in with a pair of pliers so that they don't fray the fabric.
Sewing with a good quality nylon thread is the recommendation.
Make sure the other end is anchored correctly to the top's frame.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
The interim solution is to close the top just until that part of the top wants to go into the channel, then get out, go around and tuck it in to the channel and then finish the closing. I know, it is a little tricky to do at 25mph, but whoever said these Porsches are easy...
Yup, Pedro nailed it. I just did the same repair on my RS60 this winter during hibernation. You need to put the top in "service position", then remove a couple velcro straps that anchor the top liner to allow better access. The elastir strap is anchored to the top frame with a small torx screw. The strap has button holes in it so you can try tightening the strap to the next button hole. I did this and it worked for a while, but it eventually broke. I fixed it by buying a 3/4" wide elastice strap at a fabric store, along with a heavy duty thread that is suited for wet and UV. My wife helped me (she did it) sew the new elastic to the fabric of the top. If you need a better "blow by blow" there is a how to on rennlist I believe. Good luck - you can do it!

Current Love: 2008 RS60; 1st Love: 2001 base, triple black
Farmer, Yes, I have been doing what you said -- put the top half way back up, put the top into the correct position, then complete the closing. I haven't tried this yet at 25 mph, but it works fine at zero.

Doug, thanks for the details. I have yet to try the fix, but when I do, I'll report the results.

I haven't had problem #1 with my 08, but I read this board and occasionally comment. After 5 years and 26,000 miles I have a small top issue that I think I can fix (we'll see), post my issue here, and get just the help I need. I know others get help with more complicated issues, and I might as my 08 ages, but this place is still a great resource.

Thanks, Bob
This thread is a little old, but I came across something quite interesting yesterday. I decided to go ahead and get some elastic to fix my top. I cut off the few inches of old, worn out elastic and went off to the Joann's Fabric center to see if they had something like what was there. Not only did they have a selection of widths and colors, they had essentially an exact replacement: something called "Button Elastic". It has the same set of slits in the middle of the elastic so you can put the torn screw through the slit and get an adjustable amount of tension.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login