Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
In comparison to more recent cars, the steering wheel on my '01 986 S is beginning to look and feel a bit 'delicate'. Years ago (pre airbag) I installed a Momo Monte Carlo on my VW GTI, and the change was transformative: compared to stock, the smaller diameter and thicker grip completely changed the driving experience. Unfortunately my desire to have an airbag in my Boxster precludes a Momo Monte Carlo, but I wondering if something from a 996-era GT3 (perhaps even Alcantara) might fill the bill? Does anybody know if such a thing is available, or other alternates?

TIA!

- JohnL,
Boston
Here you go
Roger987 - 9 years ago
[www.dallassteeringwheel.com]

Had them do my 987 wheel a year or two ago (I can't keep track of dates anymore- wheee, isn't this fun..). Anyway, they did an awesome job, Fat, with thumb grips. Love it!

Guenter gave it a careful inspection. I think he'd agree it is a significant improvement.

This is where I got the lead:

[www.planet-9.com]
I sure agree with Roger.

The steering wheel and gear shift are two of the important tactile connections with your car. Like Roger said, the beefier wheel and thumb cutouts add a special connection between driver and car.
Re: Here you go
jlegelis - 9 years ago
Thx... will give 'em a call. Also found this factory option for a 996 GT3, though it doesn't seem any smaller in diameter, just perhaps a bit thicker.
Re: Here you go
r9i8c7k - 9 years ago
You guys inspired me to finally get it done. Dallas Steering Wheel did a great job. I am very happy with the results...

"Bart, with $10,000, we'd be millionaires! We could buy all kinds of useful things like...love!"
I have had the same question for a while. I put the Momo Monte Carlo on my last car, a 1988 Mustang GT (five liters of tire-shredding, fire-breathing, V-8 Detroit Iron) and really miss it on my 2001 986. I think that unless I trade up to a 964 or earlier, I'm stuck.
The DallasSteeringWheel alternative in a previous post looks like a really good option!
Dallas Steering Wheel somehow manages to make the wheel rim much beefier, yet the outside diameter doesn't appear to be larger. And because they modified my original Porsche wheel, I got to keep all the steering wheel controls and the airbag. It's made an enormous difference in the feel of the wheel. A transformation, really.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login