Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Frustrating
Roger987 - 9 years ago
June 2014 Excellence tech section contains a big piece on IMS bearings, prompted by the failure of one in a 2005 997 with 47k miles, as well as a 2007 997 owner inquiring about his (larger, virtually non-replaceable) IMS bearing.

What is frustrating is they still regard an IMS bearing retrofit, along with removing the outer bearing seal on the 2006+ models as the appropriate preventative measures. They're also pushing spin-on oil filters and magnetic drain plugs.

I'm not suggesting that they are necessarily wrong, but the omission of any reference to Pedro's DOF is frustrating. I'm baffled as to why they make no mention of it.

Pedro, have you sent the Excellence editors a sample of your DOF?
... we've spent a pretty penny in advertising.
There's a lot of politics involved.

Smart people make the smart choice.
Not-so-smart people suffer the consequences.

There's enough info on the Internet for anyone who wants to do their due diligence.

Maybe you guys could drop a note to the editor and ask him why?

Happy DOF'ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Good idea - I will write the editor and inquire as to why they don't even mention the DOF.

Given that Excellence advocates removing the IMS bearing seal, clearly they see value in getting fresh lubricant to the bearing, which is exactly what the DOF does.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login