Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
The headlights on my '01 S are gross. They are pitted, yellowed and the black sealer is goopy and non-uniform.
Factory Lit kit is $3865!!!!!!!!!! Ouch!

I could simply go with OE lights, but I'd like to get rid of the US orange markers and maybe update the front end look.
Looking around ye olde interwebs, I stumbled across these (hope this isn't considered spam)
[www.ebay.com]|Model%3ABoxster

Has anyone tried them and can comment on their quality and fit?

TIA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2014 07:00PM by Highlander. (view changes)
Another option
Boxsterra - 9 years ago
Is to buy a used set from a later year (w/o the orange markers) and get the technoLite HID conversion kit from Pedro.

[pedrosgarage.com]
Sorry to dredge up a thread from 7 months ago, but I had a question about the TechnoLite_HD product and this looked like a good thread to use as a starting point.

I recently bought a set of used OEM litronic headlights which I was able to refurbish and install on my car. Because they were out of a wreck, I didn't receive a controller or wiring harness with them that would permit the xenon bulbs to swivel up and reinforce the high beams when they are switched on. I have been searching for the components I need to install that feature, but I thought that a better option might be to install the TechnoLite_HD kit in place of the current H7 Halogen bulb used for the high beam. This would essentially create a Bi-Xenon headlight.

I was wondering if anyone had tried this. The main drawback to doing this appears to be that there would be two ballasts on the back of the headlight. The OEM ballast is quite large and takes up a lot of territory. So, while the TechnoLite_HD ballast is small, there may not be enough real estate to accommodate it on the back of the headlight.

I also want to verify that having two xenon bulbs running simultaneously in each headlight wouldn't draw too much current or otherwise harm the electrical system. According to the Porsche literature, the OEM Litronics use 30% less power than the halogens. But, there could be a momentary surge when they turn on that exceeds some limit in the system. Heat does not appear to be problem because it appears that the xenons run at a lower temperature than the halogens.
... Would be the high beams.
The xenon bulbs may take 8 - 14 seconds to come to full brightness.
That's why the first generation HID lIghts leaves the high beams as halogens.
The new projector-style xenons uses one set of xenon bulbs for both low and high beams.
A little metal flap controlled by a solenoid blocks the excess light to give yo the low beams and opens up completely for the highs.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2014 12:35PM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
Thanks - That makes sense.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login