Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
First no injuries.

But another one of those stupid accidents.

I was stopped at a light (just like before) and when the light changed before I could even get the Boxster moving the car (2013 Nissan Altima) that had stopped behind me ran into the back of my car. I suspect the driver -- a guy this time -- was on his cell phone, if not talking texting, but I didn't ask and he didn't offer the "I was distracted" excuse that is code for I was on my phone.

Anyhow, this time I do not see any signs of obvious damage, but the accident occurred around 7:45pm and it was getting dark. I think I see some uneven body panel gaps: bumper cover and trunk lid and spoiler; but it could be my imagination. I'll have to take the car by the dealer service department Tuesday and let trained eyes make the call.

Last Boxster accident was in Feb. of 2009. Gee I was hoping to make it longer than 4 years before the next Boxster accident.

Oh, it just occurred to me that this accident will probably mean I will not get an auto renewal of my driver license but have to go in and take the eye test and written test again. Great. Just great.

BTW, I have a PDF of the accident "recorded" by a data logger I have in the car. If I can figure out how to attach a PDF to this post or thread I will. Oh, the impact was 11.796g's…

Kind of funny but in the device in my car I not too long ago rewrote the code (in the software portion that communicates with the car and passes the info on eventually up to the web) that classifies extreme acceleration events (accidents) and reports them. I didn't think I was going to end up testing the changes I made to the code with my car.
Your main problem right now may be that the other driver's insurance may want to total your car rather than spend any money on body work. Good luck.
ah yes, government.

Sorry about the incident Marc.

Glad there's little damage to you or car

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Glad that you're OK, Marc and that it wasn't more serious. Frustrating, non the less.

If this accident requires you to take a vision test, I take it that means testing the eyes in the back of your head.

I'm guessing if the other driver was on using a cell phone, it was talking, rather than texting. Texting, he wouldn't have known the light had turned. Talking, he might have just seen the light turn and went, without checking to see if anyone was in front of him.
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. The good news is you're ok.

I fear rear-end collisions are becoming more and more common, with ever-increasing 'smart' phone use. We do all we can to look out for the guy behind us, but there are times (like this one) where even eyes in the back of our head won't help.
At the accident scene the other driver indicated he'd prefer to work something out just paying cash out of his pocket for any repairs rather than having me file a claim against his (his Dad's) car insurance, but the car has to be checked by a tech at the dealer which means the bumper cover probably has to come off and the car put on a lift, and possibly by a body shop if sheet metal underneath the bumper cover is bent.

I'm not going to gamble and quote the other driver a price only to find out the damage is more extensive that I "estimated". I'm not qualified to make an estimate. Also, my thinking is if the other driver is going to run into a stopped Porsche he's going to have to be prepared to pay to see the Porsche is fixed properly.

Anyhow, no liability has been assumed by the other driver's insurance yet so things are on hold. I'll arrange to drop the car off at the dealer today so the other driver's insurance adjuster can look the car over at his/her convenience.
Reporting it, and letting the insurance company handle it is what you pay them for. Good decision, and glad you're OK.

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2014 03:05PM by Gary in SoFL. (view changes)
It's funny, but it's sad because we're actually almost at that point of txting lns. I noticed, while travelling in NY along I-90, they now have Text stops (that's what the signage says) - no facilities, just small areas to pull off to read and send those life changing texts.

I guess it's a good idea. I just don't understand all those emergency messages people are sending and receiving. I know they certainly wouldn't risk their lives by just texting drivel.
MarcW
At the accident scene the other driver indicated he'd prefer to work something out just paying cash out of his pocket for any repairs rather than having me file a claim against his (his Dad's) car insurance, but the car has to be checked by a tech at the dealer which means the bumper cover probably has to come off and the car put on a lift, and possibly by a body shop if sheet metal underneath the bumper cover is bent.

I'm not going to gamble and quote the other driver a price only to find out the damage is more extensive that I "estimated". I'm not qualified to make an estimate. Also, my thinking is if the other driver is going to run into a stopped Porsche he's going to have to be prepared to pay to see the Porsche is fixed properly.

Anyhow, no liability has been assumed by the other driver's insurance yet so things are on hold. I'll arrange to drop the car off at the dealer today so the other driver's insurance adjuster can look the car over at his/her convenience.

Sorry to hear about this, Marc.

11g's sound like a heck of a jolt--was it?

Was there an accident report or do individuals in fender benders just make an informal agreement to alert their insurance companies?
MikenOH
MarcW

Sorry to hear about this, Marc.

11g's sound like a heck of a jolt--was it?

Was there an accident report or do individuals in fender benders just make an informal agreement to alert their insurance companies?

the Hayward police never responded, even though my car was disabled in a traffic lane. A Bart police officer showed up and used his cruiser as a traffic safety buffer.

Anyhow, I called the police but they wouldn't come. The other driver claimed his driver's license was at home, too.

IIRC there is no requirement to file a report the CA DMV if there are no injuries or damages are under $750. It is these reports the have the DMV refuse to auto renew a driver's license by mail.

The other driver's issuance called me today, the claims adjuster, but I was busy with my Mom at the eye doctor and couldn't talk. I'll call the adjuster back tomorrow and listen to what she has to say.
eye rolling smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
No matter how many times I asked it to take me somewhere, anywhere, the runway would not oblige. It just lay there, like a ..... runway.

Fortunately, the mile of road I drove in the Pcar was much more fun. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2014 04:04PM by Roger987. (view changes)
Roger987
No matter how many times I asked it to take me somewhere, anywhere, the runway would not oblige. It just lay there, like a ..... runway.

Fortunately, the mile of road I drove in the Pcar was much more fun. smiling smiley

Fun is where you find it Roger. If I had happened by while you were standing at the end of that runway, you most certainly would have been 'taken somewhere'. smoking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login