Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I dropped the Boxster off to besides have the accident damage estimated and ultimately fixed to have the oil/filter service done. At the same time I asked that the metallic buzzing that I had assumed was from loose heat shields be addressed.

The tech reported to me today the noise is not from the heat shields -- they are fine -- but from as near as he can tell the driver's side primary converter. The "brick" or converter is loose and rattling. That the car did poorly -- even though it passed (after a 2nd try) -- its last emissions test indicates the converters or at least one is not performing as well as it should.

That occasionally the CEL comes on and I read out a P0430 error also points at this converter.

I talked about options.

Factory converters are $1000 (at least) apiece and then there is labor. Roughly with any discounts I'm facing $2500 to replace both converters. The tech advised given the miles/age of the converters that both be replaced and I agree with his thinking although I of course dislike the cost this represents.

I asked the service manager -- who was there -- and the tech if there was any objection to installing used converters? They said they usually do not like to do this but would in my case as they know if the used converters do not work right I'll not "sue". I told them that of course I would assume the risk the used converters would not work right. They still have the responsibility of installing them correctly but I am not worried about this.

So, with this in mind I went out and bought two used converters today (from Parts Heaven in Hayward). They are nice looking converters, with no rattles. I do not know the miles on them though. Parts Heaven said if the converters prove to be bad out of the box so to speak (and they put them in a box for me) that they would accept them back.

I asked what they'd give me for the converters with almost 280K miles on them, and they just laughed...

Anyhow, I'll drop the new (so to speak) converters off tomorrow and get them installed ASAP.

Before I accept the car though I will see if the dealer will let the tech throw the car on the emissions testing dyno and check exhaust for emissions compliance, as sort of an acceptance test of the converters. I'm hoping for not only quiet from the converters but lower emissions to give the car some extra margin come next emissions testing time.
Mark
How much did you have to pay for two used converters?

Joe
That's probably half the cost of new factory units. I asked the parts manager to quote me the price for new ones but I didn't wait for the quote but decided to just dash over to Parts Heaven -- I went by on the way to lunch -- and see what it had in stock. It had a pair that were pulled for somebody else but my guy talking to another guy and the other guy said the other party interested in the manifolds was supposed to call back and hadn't so my guy got the ok to sell them to me. I didn't hesitate but bought them then and there.
if I wanted. He'd have to add maybe an hour's labor to the bill.

He told me that after the converters are replaced he will test drive the car to ensure there no exhaust leaks and the car is operating to Porsche specifications. He said if there was any issue with the converters the DME would detect this and turn on the CEL and log one or more error codes.

So, I decided to skip the dyno test to save a bit of money.

The tech thinks the replacement converters will be just fine. I hope so. Otherwise, he has to take them off and I have to buy a couple of new ones. Ouch! Sure, I get my money back I paid for the used ones, but still. Ouch! But I'll not worry about that unless I get some bad news. I'm expecting only good news.
That you buy used converters (esp. In calif.). That the dealer will install customer supplied parts and used parts too. I hope it solves your issues.
in good condition should perform well enough the car remains within the emissions limits. In fact I'm expecting (hoping at any rate) the car will be a bit cleaner than before, that these used converters will perform much better than the original ones. I mean I doubt the used converters have anywhere near the miles on them the original converters have.

Additionally, since they are stock when the car is inspected at any subsequent emissions test the inspection will not find anything out of the ordinary.

About installing used parts: I spoke with the service manager and the lead tech at the dealer about installing the used manifolds. They said they normally wouldn't go for this but know me well enough to know I would not raise a stink if the converters prove to be bad. All I expect is if the converters are undamaged -- and they appear to be -- that the converters will be installed correctly and there will be no installation issues -- like an exhaust leak. Whether the converters actually work or not is something else but that is my risk.

Furthermore, I asked that if during the installation the tech finds a converter is bent, damaged, to let me know so I can return the converters for a refund or exchange. But I do not expect the tech will find anything. I looked the converters over before I bought them and they looked free of any damage, dents, or other signs that the brick inside is damaged. The tech will I'm sure look them over before he starts the swap.

(The tech tells me the brick is made out of a ceramic material that is then coated with a fine layer of the metals that actually do the work, so to speak.)

Where the manifold bolts to the engine the surfaces look straight. The other end, the flange to which the exhaust bolts to, looks ok too.
Marc:
If the converters that you have don/t work out let me know. I have a pair of converters with about 30K miles on them that I will sell to your for $225 each plus shipping. Satisfaction guaranteed.

Joe
My local dealer when I asked him about installing some aftermarket suspension parts he said "Sure I'll throw 'em on". They know a good part of their customers are enthusiasts and if they don't do the work, their customers will build a relationship with an indy... and then they are gone.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
A while back I explored having aftermarket suspension components installed on the 996. The senior tech said he'd do it, but advised me not to unless absolute necessary. (It wasn't.) Said it would cost about an hour's labor/wheel, which isn't that bad, but the aftermarket parts were around $600/wheel.

While the parts sure looked nice, and gave more wheel alignment adjustment, I decided at the time it wasn't worth it.

But I've seen this tech and others installing aftermarket suspension and exhaust for customers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login