Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
My 2012 Boxster lease is up in September, so I went to my local dealer to look at the new Boxsters. I've had three Boxsters so I decided to also look at the new Caymans for a change of pace. I like the profile changes to the new Cayman. I told the dealer salesman I has a piece of luggage that had to fit in the trunk of a new car if I was to give up my current car. He said the rear trunks of the Boxster and the Cayman were the same size. I looked at the 2014 Boxster, and although its rear trunk is a different shape from my previous Boxsters, it looked big enough for my needs. I tried my piece of luggage (a shotgun case), and it just barely fit. I tried it in the Cayman and there was no way I could get it to fit. I have always assumed that the only difference between the Boxster and the Cayman was the roof, and the salesman had been under the same impression. No so, at least with the current models. If you have a Boxster and like its rear trunk, you may find the smaller rear trunk in the Cayman a consideration. Just thought I'd pass this along. BTW, the new Boxsters look great.
IIRC, when the Cayman was introduced, ken @ P-9 did a comparison between the 987 and the 981 versions and the rear trunk room in the 981 was significantly smaller than the earlier version--by a lot.
MikenOH
IIRC, when the Cayman was introduced, ken @ P-9 did a comparison between the 987 and the 981 versions and the rear trunk room in the 981 was significantly smaller than the earlier version--by a lot.

That's interesting. I've never thought to compare. I'd have thought they were the same size, except for height. One thing's for sure. The 981 Boxster has way more head room than the Cayman on a dry day.
Here's the link
MikenOH - 9 years ago
[www.planet-9.com]

Laterally they're about the same, and the 981 has an addition depth of 2" but it looks like the roof line is different enough to really reduce the volume behind the seats significantly.
Thanks Mike. Another thing I found really interesting was the difference in engine compartment height between the 987 and 981. We know a 4 banger is coming, just not whether it will be flat or inline.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login