Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Not a complicated one, but i see my brakes are roughly 30%, which is change time for me. Bottom line is that two track events chewed up a set of track pads. That car is HEAVY. In addition to the track days the pads probably have 10,000 miles on them, but that's nothing especially for track pads. The same compound will last me at least 4, maybe 5-6 events on the 986S.

I need to decide if i want it track ready or if i'll go street/oem. I have a set of new OEM pads here, but would have to buy the ST 309s. If only this were a Boxster and changing pads were easy ---- not so on the Audi. The fronts can be cantankerous to get into little slots, and the rears are a total PITA to crank the pistons back in (on old, old calipers that dont want to turn).

But is is nice to sometimes just say "let's take this to the track for this event". Especially the Audi club events that i am more and more helping out at...

Oh, and having proper tires is really nice. What a difference, even over excellent, HP snows (Dunlop Wintersport M3s)

Oh well, nice problems to have i suppose. Gotta change its oil too. Olive i think.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
grant
Not a complicated one, but i see my brakes are roughly 30%, which is change time for me. Bottom line is that two track events chewed up a set of track pads. That car is HEAVY. In addition to the track days the pads probably have 10,000 miles on them, but that's nothing especially for track pads. The same compound will last me at least 4, maybe 5-6 events on the 986S.

I need to decide if i want it track ready or if i'll go street/oem. I have a set of new OEM pads here, but would have to buy the ST 309s. If only this were a Boxster and changing pads were easy ---- not so on the Audi. The fronts can be cantankerous to get into little slots, and the rears are a total PITA to crank the pistons back in (on old, old calipers that dont want to turn).

Grant

Reminds me of my first Audi, a '73 100LS. First year they sold Audis in Canada. Not sure how hard the front brakes were to work on. They were mounted inboard, with axels attched to the rotors to reduce sprung weight.
Just add Brembos! find a set from a dismantler from an totalled S6 or S4, then...
From this..

To this...

Mine came off a wrecked 05 STI, car stops amazingly quick now!
Only drawback is the brake upgrade required the purchase of new wheels to fit over the brakes! Gave me the opportunity to upgrade to a summer set of 18's...

Steve

Steve
Guards Red 1999
I'm not a race car driver, but I play one in 2nd and 3rd gear grinning smiley
1. i want to continue to run smaller wheels and avoid potholes ( I went from 17s to 16s).
2. the HP2 calipers on it already are excellent,. just fiddly on the pads
3. would nto solve the rear pad issue because it has an integrated parking brake (which is the problem BTW). Well, it would solve one problem and cause another

No i just need to spend to two+ hours.

not like i haven't done it 20 times before.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login