Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
...say for a 1,000 mile drive up to BRBS.

Anyone ever try this stuff??? [www.dipyourcar.com]

Another product, Road-Wrap, with so-so reviews: [www.empirecovers.com]

Maybe just a good application of carnuba wax, and slow down sad smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
3M has a new clear film that you spray on (mask off any area you don't want to over spray). When you no longer want it on the car, peel it off!
Now, has anybody tried it?
Sounds great to me!
This review is from: 3M 90100 Paint Defender System (Automotive)

I'm a very experienced car detail buff. Not an expert by all means, however, I can prep, paint, detail, etc. I own a 2013 Chevy Cruz, metallic black, about 2 months old. I wax it about once a month if not more and it is washed no less than weekly. I own a 2006 Chevy Silverado that looks like it just came off the showroom floor. Hey everyone has a hobby (or crutch) however you want to see it. Mine happens to be making my machines look as clean and new as possible. Enter 3M Paint Defender. Sounds perfect, decent reviews, everyone's mistakes seem to be common and everyone seems to have fixed them by try number two. In reality, no. I'll use this product again but never on a black car, and never on anything intricate like the front end of a vehicle that has to have 14 different irregular places masked off. What does the completed product look like in the end? Imagine Grandma's couches with the plastic covering over them. This stuff will work if it's put on THICK. How thick? Well that is impossible to determine. For everyone who made it work, I assure you that you got lucky. It's that simple. Glad they don't sell airplanes with this workmanship guarantee. Once it works it's a big shiny piece of plastic covering where you sprayed it. Looks great grandma! Ok my sarcasm is just my poor sportsmanship. Congrats to all who got this product to work. I on the other hand spent 4 hours painstakingly scraping piece by tiny piece off of the intricate front end of the Chevy Cruz before simply purchasing a slim mount bug guard and not attempting round 2. I used every product in my arsenal to remove this crap. I almost used "Goo be Gone", that's how frustrated I was getting. If you "orange peel" the product (i.e. go to light on the triple spray pattern), there is no easy way except a clay bar, lots of water, a good thumb nail, and several frustrating hours ahead of you to get it off. I used Meguiar's #1, and #2 and my rotary buffer to at least get it to start to come up. There were patches that were just heck to get off, others were so so with a clay bar and Meguiar's The easy removal you see on the 3M site and online only works if you don't under or overdue your spray pattern. Anyhow, here goes:

Do's:

Mask everything, yes the entire car. I was picking this stuff off of tools across the floor and shoes that were lined up on a shelf. I did not mask anything past the windshield. Guess what I was scraping off of the body, windows, and roof later?
Overspray, overspray, overspray---DO NOT go light---whatever you do, do not go liberal on this step!
Shake the heck out of the can beforehand
Read every direction you can, view the instructions from their website, Google it and see what everyone else is doing, and really really ask yourself if this is what you want. It is only guaranteed for one year, so do you really want to go through all this for one year of minor protection and your car looking like grandma's plastic protected couches?

Do not's:

Don't skip the "wax before you apply" step
Don't forget to cover the ENTIRE car, spray indoors, no wind, and make sure you cleaned, waxed, prepped, and also shake the heck out of the can
Don't try and touch any messed up spots while its drying, trust me there is nothing you can do. Apparently they "self level" but neither mine or any of the reviews I read saw this happen.
Don't just say "heck with it" and spray over your grill or headlights. You will hate yourself after.

In the end I will use the product on high traffic areas only. Places like the ledge under the rear hatch or trunk. Other than that it's shotty plastic wrap spray and has not been perfected yet by 3M (my personal opinion of course).

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."

Service Areas install shower like sprays when the love bugs get bad....like around now. Pedro, I, and several others had a fun caravan up to BRBS some years ago. I think he has photos or videos of us taking baths at every service area in Florida. They were really thick that year.

Gary in SoFL

I used Rejex on my wheels after I flushed the brake system. I have not had a buildup of brake dust on my wheels in a month. I just spray the wheels and they look great.
The DipYourCar spray doesn't seem to make any claims for paint protection. Seems to be mostly to colourize the finish.

The EmpireCovers stuff, sounds like it might work, but doesn't sound like it looks all that great. Nobody mentioned about stone chips, so maybe it helps, maybe not.

I just find a good coat of P21S (and I'm sure some other waxes too) before the trip and bugs will come of easily with a sponge and water, as long as you don't leave them on too long.

To protect against stone chips, I still think the 3M clear bra is the way to go.
Guenter in Ontario
The DipYourCar spray doesn't seem to make any claims for paint protection. Seems to be mostly to colourize the finish.

The EmpireCovers stuff, sounds like it might work, but doesn't sound like it looks all that great. Nobody mentioned about stone chips, so maybe it helps, maybe not.

I just find a good coat of P21S (and I'm sure some other waxes too) before the trip and bugs will come of easily with a sponge and water, as long as you don't leave them on too long.

To protect against stone chips, I still think the 3M clear bra is the way to go.

Good advise, but I've seen some nasty gashes in 3M clear bras, especially given all the road debris down here. Xpel is supposed to offer a little more protection, but doing all the exposed areas of a car will cost about $2,500 US.

... Detroit Gators!

Happy Porscheing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna

It holds up pretty well too, I sprayed the front grill "V" on my Subaru and it has withheld 2 winters in NE being blasted by rocks and sand and not a single chip can be found. I did my old set of wheels too and they held up great. Contrary, I tried coating both the grill and the wheels with paint and it didn't last a season...

Steve
Guards Red 1999
I'm not a race car driver, but I play one in 2nd and 3rd gear grinning smiley
Three questions, Steve:

1. How many coats did you apply?

2. Did you use clear or a color?

3. Have you tried to remove the dip? I've seen conflicting reports about how difficult it is.

Gary in SoFL
Three questions, Steve:

1. How many coats did you apply?

2. Did you use clear or a color?

3. Have you tried to remove the dip? I've seen conflicting reports about how difficult it is.

1. I think for the grill I did maybe 5 or 6 light coats, for the wheels 2-3 heavier coats, both came out looking the same.

2. I used black... The splotch on the grill is bug remnants I think as it is still perfect.

3. Haven't tried taking it off, but when I changed my tires, the outer lip of the rims started to peel back from the process. Actually, change that! I did have it on the chrome trim around the windows, and I removed that, came off pretty easy I thought.

Home Depot sells the black for $5-6 per spray can, but I know you can get many different colors from their website and there are a TON of videos on utube on how to's and masking. If you really want to go nuts, you can get the kits you spray it on with a Wagner Power painter.

Steve
Guards Red 1999
I'm not a race car driver, but I play one in 2nd and 3rd gear grinning smiley
... an ORANGE Plasti-Dip Bra on.
Orange looks good on silver.
Happy Dipping,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Pedro (Weston, FL)
... an ORANGE Plasti-Dip Bra on.
Orange looks good on silver.
Happy Dipping,
Pedro

Sure, and it would match my amber side markers, if they hadn't been thrown away long ago. winking smiley

[www.griotsgarage.com]

I used it the last two years and it worked quite well.
You do the entire car with it, or just the front area?

Gary in SoFL
You do the entire car with it, or just the front area?

I'm guessing just the front area, unless you drive backwards really fast. winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login