Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I posted & I need some advice.

My car's now 9 years old (time flies!) with 41,000 miles.

I've always followed the "wisdom" of doing the routine maintenance items based on mileage (oil changed every 5K miles and brake fluid +/- every two years) versus time so I'll be doing the "major maintenance" items for 40K miles - way past the four & eight year point, but I'm wondering if there's any other things I should do now given the car's age? Or, is it safe to wait till I hit the 60K mark in about 4 years?

TIA,

Ed

Ed from Long Island (Tampa)
05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
Good question. According to a recent discussion you should be bleeding the clutch as well as the brakes. I would wonder about changing the transmission fluid and possibly the coolant, but I will let others with more expertise weigh in on that.
Given a similar age/mileage, I choose to use the "most service items" routine service (which for me was 90k) as a starting point. My cars were wonderfully reliable. Never know if that had anything to do with it.
the tires? Porsche considers them past their use by date after 6 years.

I'd advise a coolant drain and refill with a fresh mix of anti-freeze and distilled water. Porsche claims the coolant is a lifetime fill but the coolant's ability to fight corrosion drops and its ability to help protect the water pump seals drops. I changed the coolant once after I bought my new '02 and managed to get 172K miles out the water pump. The 2nd water pump is going on 110K miles with just one coolant change since it was installed.

It is a little premature to do a tranny/diff fluid service unless the car is equipped with a Tip. If so, then I'd have it done. If the car equipped with a manual you could wait until the miles hit 45K which is half the miles IIRC the factory calls for a fluid service. Still early, of course.

Check but I think the plugs are due to be changed on time.

Up to you but you could have all of the above done at this service and then not have to worry about any other services but oil/filter every so often for a few years.
Ed from Long Island (Tampa)
05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login