Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Saw Pedro last week, and told him I would post a review of the school.

I took the 2 day performance course. It was an amazing experience.

First, the track. The whole facility is gorgeous, and almost palatial.

Day One:
Gather in the morning, meet and greet, and about 30 minutes of orientation of what you are in for. At this time, everyone tells of their relative experience, and they put you into groups of people who they feel you would be most comfortable driving with. The point is to never feel out of your comfort level. You want to be grouped with people who will go about the same pace you will, so you can concentrate on learning.

We had 6 groups. Three to the track, three to autocross, skidpad, and braking exercises. We hit the track first in our group. We did a follow the leader format, with one way radios. There was the leader, and four of us behind, him talking to us through the radio. At the end of each lap, the person behind the leader moves over, everyone goes by, and the leader is now in back. We got to drive 911 CS and Panamera Turbo S on the track in the morning. Then it was our turn to do the exercises, which was the skidpad, autocross, and braking exercises. We had a Cayman S for the autocross, and for the braking exercise.

While at lunch, they were testing 918s at the track, so we got to see a 918 in its natural environment. It struck me that this was probably the only time I will ever see a 918 in person actually moving, as opposed to behind some ropes at an auto show. After lunch it was more track time, performing understeer corrections on the skidpad, and more autocross.

At the end of day 1, it is like being a zombie. There is so much information given, it is like overload. The instructors tell you that you will be surprised when you come back the next morning, how much you will retain (and they are right).

Day 2 started out at the track after a brief scheduling overview. The laps were much faster, applying all of the knowledge from the day before, and we got laps with the instructor riding with us in the passenger seat, and you got laps riding with them in the lead car. Then there was an autocross challenge, a skidpad challenge, and back to the track. Lastly there was an off road course to show off the funky things a Cayenne can do going straight downhill, and through 3 feet of water. As the cap on the day, we got to perform launch control on a 911 Turbo S. That was incredible as you would expect, as the car seems to leave your body behind at that level of acceleration.

Overall, while it was expensive, it was fully worth the price. I learned a ton of info, got to drive a variety of cars (911 CS, Panamera Turbo S, Boxster S, 911 Turbo S, Cayman S, Cayenne, and they had a ton of Macans there that were just part of a dealer event. We got a ride in those). I cannot stress enough that the instructors are fantastic. I had about 10 different instructors throughout the 2 days, and all were great. I learned a lot from a lot of different people.

Lastly, I have to say the scariest part of the 2 day course was actually leaving the track and actually driving on city streets. Bunch of crazy people, and no instructor in my ear telling me what to do. HA!
What track was the event at.
San Rensho
What track was the event at.

Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham Alabama.
... Porsche puts together a great program in one of the most incredible venues.
The track is beautiful and challenging.
The grounds are immaculate.
The instructors are first class and you get to drive most of the Porsche platforms.
It all makes for a great experience.
It should be in every Porsche enthusiast's bucket list.
Happy Porscheing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Pedro (Weston, FL)
... Porsche puts together a great program in one of the most incredible venues.
The track is beautiful and challenging.
The grounds are immaculate.
The instructors are first class and you get to drive most of the Porsche platforms.
It all makes for a great experience.
It should be in every Porsche enthusiast's bucket list.
Happy Porscheing
Pedro

The track was incredible. I am now considering the Master's course. You were right about those crests. It sure looks like you are going to go flying off the track.
Whenever o leave the NNJR-PCA auto crosses i immediately exit Giants' Stadium to route 3 - one of the worst roads in New Jersey ( which is saying something).

I m immediately fearful. I go from an environment where everyone is paying attention, has some level of experience, in well maintained cars, albeit screeching around, to a place where cars move like cats in formation, putting on lipstick, showing off how fast they are (not), weaving in and out, diving for exits, texting, talking on the phone, reading books ( i am not making that up). terrifying. Give me a race track any day.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login