Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Got an invite to a local BMW HPDE event at Mid-OH today and in it all the particulars on what their tech requirements were; nowhere in the tech sheet was there anything about open cars required full roll cages, as has been the cases for at least 4 years.

I started getting excited about that this might create another venue for doing track days until I got down into the details of what their rollbar requirements are--see link:
[www.nohiobmwcca.org]

After looking this over a bit, it's a bit like the broomstick rule with a variation--somehow a line from the top of the front shock tower to the top of the roll bar is still included in determining whether your car would pass--not just having your helmet 2" below the proverbial broom stick line.

Would appreciate views on this from all you tech savy members regarding how this might affect Boxster owners; I guess I'll have to go out and drop the top, pop the hood and see how this lines up.
My wife thinks this is just a ploy to allow BMW roadsters to qualify while keeping other marques out.
1.) that he roll bar is the A-pillar, so long as it meets government roll-over standards, and
2.) Boxsters pass, 986s with the B-K roll bar extension

I'd doubt they want to keep anyone out. The economics of track rental are such that incremental attendance is generally welcomed.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
[www.coldbacon.com]
B. Kliban

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2014 11:06AM by Laz. (view changes)
Audi club HDPE events specifically preclude Boxsters and any convertable without a role cage. I would love to participate in their events so if we find a decent aurgument I would like to get it to them for a decision.

Current Love: 2008 RS60; 1st Love: 2001 base, triple black
Yes, you need a brey-Krause roll bar extension. I have two of them - wouldn't run without them. Bolt in.

There is no problem running a 986, 987 or 981 in an ACNA event.

Grant

Grant

Looked at that link
grant - 9 years ago
1. specifies a roll bar, not cage
2. presume the factory bars are sufficient, if they meet the template (987, 981 do, 986 needs a B-K extension, easy)
3. The line from the strut tower assumes the windshield frame is not of sufficient strength. Ours ( supposedly) are strong enough
4. it is at the discretion of the tech inspector

The tech form ( i can email to anyone interested) says:

"ROLL BAR: Strictly Enforced.

Grant

Regarding windshield frame protection, found this on YouTube. Caption says GPS telemetry indicated it left the track at 65 mph. Speed at roll was at about 50 mph.

[www.youtube.com]
Guenter in Ontario
Regarding windshield frame protection, found this on YouTube. Caption says GPS telemetry indicated it left the track at 65 mph. Speed at roll was at about 50 mph.

[www.youtube.com]

Impressive structural integrity. Saw a 986 that had rolled at Nelsons track a few years back coming out of the carousel --rolled several times and had bit more damage.The windshield support was bent a bit, but the driver walked a way.

I'm going to email them and see if they will accept a Boxster without reservations. Since the car has been around for 15 model years now, I'd hope they would be familiar with it.
that's why you dont try to hold a car on the track once it begins to spin wide. If he had just counter-steered he would have either:

1. skidded wide, crapped his pants, and stayed on the course, badly, or
2. run off to the left, straight, with far less, ah, excitement

easier said than done in a panic moment!

Grant

Grant

Exactly--
MikenOH - 9 years ago
If you know you're going off, go off in a straight line if possible, with both feet in (clutch/brake).

Again,at Nelsons a few years back, a guy got two wheels off coming out of a turn and tried to get back on track, rather than letting it track out and slow down. He spun--going over a tire wall and took out another car in the process.
If you are ghoing offroad, and it will be rough terrain (like high plains track), two feet in while on the road, then,if straight, release brake so you dont submarine too badly. Tons of runoff there. Too bad he didnt use it.

best plan is dont go off.

Unfortunately that explains why i'm not running out front.

Grant

Grant

In the picture, all you see is a straight street. Makes you wonder how he was able to flip it on that street, so I'm sure there's more to that picture.
The street name might be "Dowanhill" something, and the place is definitely Glasgow, Scotland. Google Earth doesn't get to street level, but the area doesn't look particularly upahill or dowanhill.
[i222.photobucket.com]
There's a Top Tier Designer Cakes at 70 Bell Street in Glasgow. Maybe they moved because they thought it was a dangerous location. winking smiley

From the look of the front left wheel and fender, I wonder if the driver was takin' a corner a wee bit fast and hit a curb. I think it's about the only way to flip a Boxster - hit something suddenly with a wheel sideways.

Looks like the windscreen and both front and rear boots are in tact. Not even sign of petrol leakage.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login