Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I was planning to negotiate a tradein (2003 S) and likely order a 2015 S in the nest few days. Much to my surprise, the driver side window just stopped dropping when opening the door. (I now have to lower it slightly myself before opening the door.) The window opens and closes OK when actuating it with the center console button, but it make a new noise when closing.

Should I have this fixed before I begin the tradeup process? Or should I begin the tradein process with the car as is?

thanks

Keith
Ask the dealer what, if any, discount they'll put on the trade if you don't fix it, but I'd just trade in the car, if you are doing so at the same dealer that you are buying the 2015. No sense in going through the inconvience of dropping the car off and picking it up. In 2002, I weighed fixing the right, rear fender of my '98 when trading it (scrapped a cement support column in my work garage three days before deciding on gettng a new one), but the dealer didn't put that huge of a discount on it with the war paint, so I never got it fixed. Your dealer should give you a trade-in value that should be good for a week or so, with a limit on new miles (no cross-country roadtrip, for instance). You can then decide if the fix is worth it (DIY or Indy Shop), or even test the private sale route, quickly. The fix could be an easy, relatively inexpensive switch problem or a more involved, expensive, new regulator inside the door.
that is don't fix it.

I would mention the issue in passing, but not make a big deal out of it, because it is not a big deal.

The dealer can fix that as part of it bringing car up to spec for a lot less than you can. Or it will just wholesale the car off the lot and be done with the car.

Stress the positives of your car. Pay attention to to not only what you get as a trade in but what you pay for the new car. You are actually in the process of dealign with a two car transaction. The buying of a new car and the selling of your old car.
I am now thinking that I should fix it. Presumably, I will be trading it in on a new vehicle that I will order. I don't think that I am willing to tolerate the defective window, which prevents me from locking the car (since the window must always be open slighly so that I can open and close the door), for the months that it will take for the new car to arrive. Does this seem logical?
have to live with to be safe and reliable until the new car arrives.
lock with the key on the driver's side door.
I am getting the window fixed this week. However, we are now seriously considering a Tesla Model S instead of the Boxster S. My conscience has been bothering me for a long time about generating hydrocarbon emissions, and the Model S seems to be the only practical electric car available. (All others may not even be able to get us to our favorite haunts and back, and the alternatives have little cargo space.) Or, we could save a ton of money and stick with the plan for a new Porsche. I should know in the near future, especially after I drive a Tesla at one of their test drive events.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login