Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Pedro,

You seem to have the answers.... I need torque values for each side of this part:

997 331 043 01

Where are you getting this data? Thanx so much for your help.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
The factory or Bentley repair manuals.

generally the control arms are in the range of 80 lb-ft

I tried using Bing to find the value, but found your post elsewhere :-)

If need be i could check the torque value for the track arm on the boxster - its likely similar.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Someone posted some values on another forum, but I want to make sure... you never know. One the one side, 118 ft lbs, the other is 56 ft lbs. 118 seems so darn high and 56 low. I just can't for the life of me find any service manuals out there for these newer cars. Bentley does not have one yet.

Very frustrating.....

Peace
Bruce
Track arm, from chassis to control arm, right?

Front or rear?

Grant

Grant

the fork end (connects to bushing in diagonal control arm (the "wishbone with the ball joint)) is 118 lb-ft (160 n-m)

the chassis end, which connects to the frame rail under the front of the car - Does not say. Mine were VERY tight and i believe had lock-tite on them (which may have made them feel tight without being tight). I had to loosen them to pivot the "boomerang" out of the way and replace the front sway-bar bushings.

Grant

Grant

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2014 08:57PM by Bruce In Philly (2000 S Boxster, now '09 C2S). (view changes)
OK, bonus question:

What percent of techs actually use a torque wrench on body and suspension parts?

Talk amongst yourselves.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
... techs will use a torque wrench on suspension pieces.
After years of wrenching you get to know the intrinsic value of each bolt or nut's torque values.
I've always compared a pro tech to a pro golfer.
In golf you have one basic swing and change the club to change the distance.
In wrenching you have one basic twist of the arm/hand and change the wrench to change the torque.
There's a reason why a 10 mm wrench is much shorter than a 24 mm wrench.
Most techs will use the torque wrench inn critical places such as engine, transmission, etc.

Anyway, here's what the Factory Workshop Manual says for the Boxster's rear suspension parts:

Control Arm
on the carrier side section (camber eccentric) M12 x 1.5 100 Nm (81 lbft)
to wheel carrier M12 x 1.5 75 Nm (55 lbft)

Diagonal Arm
to Control Arm M14 x 1.5 160 Nm (117 lbft)
to body M14 x 1.5 160 Nm (117 lbft)

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login