Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Oddly, I have found water puddling behind my passenger seat and some newspapers behind there soaked. Obviously, the most likely culprit is a leak in the roof, unless I left a window open a crack, but I have examined the roof carefully on that side and found nothing, including the seam for the rear window. In addition, the inside of the roof is not at all damp. I've soaked up what I can with paper towels and will let the carpet dry out and, I suppose wait for rain and see if it happens again, but does this ring a bell with anyone?

2001 Base, purchased in 2004, replaced engine at 130K+, RIP 2017
the windshield.

Clean the rear drains, one on either side of the top under the clamshell arm.

Be gentle with the drain and basin cleaning. You do not want to crack the basin or damage the hose. The basin catches the water and from the basin it flows down the drain to under the car.

You are probably lucky you had the papers there. Otherwise the water would have risen enough to wet the security module under the passenger seat.

Just to be safe, check the door bottoms for any dampness. Sometimes a door window seal/membrane leaks and lets water into the door. Generally though this is accompanied by door and window electrical gremlins.
Oddly...
JackintheBoxster - 9 years ago
I went out this morning and found another puddle behind the rear seat despite no rain overnight. Could it be a radiator leak?
Radiator leak?...
MarcW - 9 years ago
I'm having a hard time picturing how a radiator leak could have water (coolant) in the cabin. In fact I'm having a hard time picturing how any coolant leak could have water in the cabin, other than perhaps a heater core leak.

If the car sat out last night did it rain? Was it a dewy night? Any chance a nearby sprinkler sprayed the car? Any chance you left a water bottle in the car and its rolled around under the seat and developed a leak?

Oh, before I forget, regardless I think you need to check the water drains both at the front of the car and on either side of the top under the clamshell.

If those are dry show no signs having any water collected in them then you have to look at the water getting in another way.

If you are sure it didn't rain on the car last night, and there was no heavy dew, IOWs, absent any outside water source then the water has to be coming from somewhere in the car. Coolant is a possibility, but as I touched upon above while I can't see how it could get in the cabin you should be able to distinguish water from coolant.

If you are sure the water is plain water, at least not coolant, then that leaves the possibility water has leaked in through a leak in the top, around a window, some place, and collects but over time seeps out and puddles at the lowest point in the cabin. You need to feel around and see if you can find any damp place that might point you to this reservoir of water.

This I think has to be a slim possibility. But like the water drains/basins you need to be sure.

Antoher source of water, and this is I think a more likely explanation, is the A/C evaporator water tray/drain is plugged this collects water (condensation from the evaporator) and it will pour out over the top and run into the cabin.

LIke the body water drains/basins you need to check this is not happening but I can't tell you how to do this, as I've never had to do this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2014 04:54PM by MarcW. (view changes)
Most likely the drain that is under the clamshell on the passenger side is clogged.

Regarding the recurrence, the foam under the carpet holds a substantial amount (gallons) of water. It's easy to think you've dried it out when in fact there is quite a bit more.

Mike Focke has a nice summary of the drains here: [sites.google.com]
I don't think the drains are clogged.

I'm wondering whether when water got into the car a couple of months ago when I washed it, water might have seeped into the carpet and is just coming up gradually now.
JackintheBoxster
I don't think the drains are clogged.

I'm wondering whether when water got into the car a couple of months ago when I washed it, water might have seeped into the carpet and is just coming up gradually now.

problem and one which accounts for a good number of water in the cabin reports.

If the drains are not clogged, then the water is getting into the cabin another way. This needs to be id'd and fixed.

Water in the cabin is not a good thing. If you need incentive to address this promptly visit your local Porsche dealer parts counter and get a quote on a new security module, parts and labor to install cost.

Afterwards I believe you will be sufficiently motivated to find the leak source.
Had any trouble with your top mechanism? There is a foam edged area under the clamshell that sometimes loses its ability to direct water because a part of the top mechanism fails and hits it and the damage allows an overflow to dump in the wrong place.
He's pretty sure it's just water that got into the carpet when I washed the car that is seeping up. He says dry the carpets out well and see what happens.

Thanks to all of you (as usual) for helpful advice, I always appreciate the help I get on this board.
Yes - remember - top up when washing a Boxster! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
there's a leak or a drain overflowing, unless you left a window down in a rain storm or when you washed the car.

You were I think lucky nothing serious came of this but I do not think you'll continue to be lucky.

I urge you to check the drains. If they are ok then perhaps you need a friend with a garden hose and you in the car and while the friend really flood the car you check inside for any leaks.

My 02 leaks a tiny bit -- just a few drops -- at the top of the driver's side window when I wash the car. NO water has even gotten in from leaving the car out in the rain or driving in the rain.

With the hose you can check for signs of water getting in not only around the side windows and the doors, but the front glass, rear window, and through the top.

But be sure before you start the drains are clear. This is the most common cause of water in the cabin.
As many times as I washed my Boxster (or sometimes even deliberately drove it through a storm including hurricanes), no water ever intruded.

Something is wrong but the good news is you don't have to be anything but observant to figure out where it is coming from. Lots of water on the outside and someone watching and feeling on the inside.

For now, get a fan blowing into the interior with the windows open and run it for days. Mold or security computer damage you don't want.
Mechanic says the drain along the lip of the convertible top behind the passenger side was clogged. Have now been drying out the carpet behind the passenger seat for 24 hours (six rolls of paper towels) and will take it out in the sun now for I hope final drying.

Thanks to all for your helpful advice and counsel.
excellent.
JM-Stamford,CT - 9 years ago
I have had good luck with leaving the car all closed up with the heat blasting full bore after previously using the wet dry vac to get as much as I could.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login