Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Is it a strut bushing (or bearing) that makes a squeak any time my car is moved up and down? If yes, should I replace both sides now even though only one side is complaining?

I can make it happen by pushing down on the fender and I hear it driving as the car goes up and down. It is not directly related to hitting bumps that cause the suspension to move quickly, but is more related to the change in ride height as the car drives or is rocked.

Thanks in advance, Tom.
And the right side is the one I hear from while driving.
... in the control arms can dry out and squeak or squeal when it's dust boots are damaged.
To identify try spraying a silicone lubricant into the torn boot and see if the sound dissapears.
When one side fails the other side is not far behind.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
.. at least from experience on other cars. But it could be any bushing that is drying out.

In rare cases, a failing shock can make such a noise too.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
My right front control arm failed on my 01 base Boxster just about 3 years ago. I only heard the noise as I was backing into my driveway at low speeds. As it cost about $ 500.00 or so I only did the offending side. That was over 15,000 miles ago. I have not heard any noise from the left as of yet.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login