Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Hi there,

My SUV is out of alignment as it had a new suspension bushing and was incorrectly aligned so it's worn a tire very unevenly. I need to replace my front two tires before it goes to the dealer for a chassis alignment.

At the same time I was going to retrofit TPMS valves but as I'm outside the US it will take some time for the specific parts to reach me. I want the car back on the road ASAP and can get the new tires/alignment done quickly.
That will mean taking the tires off again to insert the TPMS valves later. Obviously I guess it's best for a tire only to be installed once, but any thoughts on how many times its considered safe to take tire off and reinstall if done professionally ?

Cheers,
... sensors you don't have to remove the tire from the rim.
You need to deflate and break the bead.
If done with the proper equipment, taking care not to damage the bead you should have no problem.
Happy Porscheing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Great info, many thanks - never thought of that. Glad I can get the car back on the road and then install the TPMS kit when it comes.
for any info on the number of times a tire could be unmounted then mounted again.

I found a Michelin tire owner's manual:

[www.michelinman.com]

but found nothing in it regarding any restrictions to the number of times a tire can be unmounted then remounted.

Regardless, I would keep the number of times a tire was dismounted then remounted it to a minimum.

In the case of TPMS installation though Pedro has it right. No need to remove the tire.
I routinely do it several times to balance out track wear. So i would not be concerned.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login