Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Mike and IMS thread got me thinkin I need a new post....... Your opinions?

I am an odd one in that I expect my expensive, well engineered, supposedly really good car to last forever. Seriously I do. So while I have not been as extreme as Mike, I maintain the heck out of my cars. I don't let a rattle, fart or whatever go and I make sure the work done is pro. I only use Porsche or Porsche OEM parts.

That said, I believe.... I admit that I don't have the data...... that in say twenty years from now, you would have not only spent a ton less money, but if you had the strength to save what you would have spent, you will be sitting very nicely indeed and you would have spent those years driving a fun car. This is my reasoning to support spending a ton of money on a luxury car. Is this wise? Well...... given that my last Porsche blew two engines tells me maybe no.... but we know Porsche had a flawed design.

All I really ask for is "give me the maintenance schedule". Even if it includes an engine tear down at say 200K miles, just let me know what I need to do. Don't let the car just blow up on me. I am hoping that Porsche got it right with the 997.2 DFI I a now drive.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Will it last long enough and without requiring one spending too much money to have been a better choice over some other vehicle?

Who knows?

But hopefully, and dare I offer probably, the answer will prove to be yes.

One does his part by taking proper care of the car. This means not only observing the scheduled services but taking care of the little things. If a car is in otherwise good shape it is easier to spend a larger sum of money to address a rare but serious problem in order to keep the car on the road rather than consigning it to the scrap heap, perhaps, and replacing it with another car. A new car is very expensive. Even a used car is probably going to cost you way more than it would have cost to repair the old car and with a used car you buy some unknowns.

It is more cost effective to run a car as long as possible. The advice I've gotten over the years is to buy a good car, take care of it, and drive it until the wheels fall off. I've never driven a car this long, the Boxster being the car I've owned the longest and driven the most.

It is both hard and easy to justify spending money on a luxury sports car. No one needs a $50K or $60K or $75K or $100K or more expensive car. But many want one and many can afford one, so there is obviously a market.

My lowly first car, a '71 or '72 Datsun 510 that cost me $1800 (approx.) managed to get me around quite nicely, albeit without many of the creature comforts I now deem must have, like A/C, cruise control and the absence of severe noise, vibration and harshness, and unspoken but taken for granted the many safety features of a modern car. But I would find it hard to return to such a basic/utilitarian car. (And even before that my Honda CB750 was pretty good transportation for just me but I wouldn't want to go back to riding a motorcycle.)

For your car you have the maintenance schedule. But you can't have the repair schedule. It is not written yet. It won't be written, completely, until you dispose of the car.

All you can do is buy what your research has you believing is a basically good car. (Sometimes this is hard to know until after the fact, though. I'm sure Vega buyers believed they were getting a basically good car.) Avoid paying anymore for the car than you have to. (Depreciation is the biggest expense of owning a car.) Take reasonable care of the car. Take care of the little things. Show the car, treat the car with a bit of mechanical empathy. Enjoy the car. Use it as it was intended which means just drive it. And with a bit of luck -- accidents account for a goodly number of otherwise good cars leaving the road permanently before their time -- you will enjoy a long and reasonably drama free service life with the car.

As for your concern about the DFI in the 997.2 models… Unfortunately while we all hope Porsche got it "right" only time will tell. However, I would not let that keep me awake nights nor would I let it dampen in any way my enjoyment of a 997.2 car with the DFI engine.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login