Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I posted some pics on what I found. There are 9 pieces of noticeable size in the pics. There were a few other very small metal particles (<1mm) in the rest of the filter membrane.

The largest of 3 bits is between ~2mm and 3mm in diameter (The 1st piece from the left). All but the 2nd, 5th and 6th pieces are amber color. The 2nd and 5th pieces are black colored (Each ~1mm to 2mm). The 6th is metallic and ~ 1mm in diameter.

Other than these, I did not find very much of anything. smiling smiley

'00 S with ~40K miles on the motor. Updated RMS and hex bolts in 2/2005. Historically used Mobil1 15-50. New fill is Castrol Syntec 5-40.

Should I be concerned about the plastic bits?

[www.tinysites.com]
these can be just casting flash that falls off over time and it runs through one or more scavage pumps and the gear teeth flatten the piece out to a foil thickness.

Also, is the metal magnetic? If magnetic... That can be more well, alarming.

The amber (dark caramel) and possibly darker almost black colored bits if hard (composite) plastic are probably from one or more camshaft guides/tensioner rails.

If you can use a fingernail to 'dent' a piece of what you found, if the stuff has a spring back to it this is likely just sealant trash.

I see nothing really frightening in what you posted, but it depends upon your answers to some of the above what you next step is.

I can't see any reason to yank the engine or scrap the car or make any hasty decision yet.

One possible course of action is to with a new filter and fresh/clean oil run the engine a while and then remove the filter housing and dump the oil and filter element in to a clean drain pan and see what you see.

If you see nothing, odds are high very high there is nothing to worry about.

If you see any metal sheen, even a trace, if any of it is ferrous (especially), if you see more composite plastic bits, this is much more alarming and well, it is alarming.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login