Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
He was working awfully hard to herd the Alfa around the track. He/it got the job done, but clearly the Cayman is a better car, not only on the track, but off, as well.
The Alfa, with its unassisted steering, rackety engine, and stiff suspension, would likely not be a joy as a daily driver.
Roger987
He was working awfully hard to herd the Alfa around the track. He/it got the job done, but clearly the Cayman is a better car, not only on the track, but off, as well.
The Alfa, with its unassisted steering, rackety engine, and stiff suspension, would likely not be a joy as a daily driver.

Rackety engine as in 4 banger turbo....

Can't beat the mid engine layout. Porsche sure got it right with the 356 - 001.

Given the recent discussion of all the auto makers going 4 cylinder turbo with disappointing results, I just have a feeling that the current 981 will be the pinnacle of the Boxster / Cayman models unless Porsche continues to at least offer a flat six as an option when it gets the 4 banger turbo.
Porsche has been making the Cayman for 8 years now.
I'd say that for the first model year 4C Alfa Romeo made an outstanding car!
I would not mind having to look at one in my garage.
Happy wishing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Pedro (Weston, FL)
Porsche has been making the Cayman for 8 years now.
I'd say that for the first model year 4C Alfa Romeo made an outstanding car!
I would not mind having to look at one in my garage.
Happy wishing
Pedro

I agree that the 4C is a beautiful looking car, specially for a first model.

I know you wouldn't mind looking at one in your garage, but you've just never struck me as a garage queen type of car guy. winking smiley I haven't seen one in the metal, let alone had a chance to drive one, but based on what I saw in the video, I'd certainly take the 981 Cayman (although I'd upgrade to the convertible version) over the 4C ...and of course there's that little thing about a manual available in the 981 ,,,then there's the Sports Suspension. cool smiley
Happy wish come true.
Guenter

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2014 08:50AM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
... Has one in their showroom.
I have not driven it, but I'm sure I will soon enough.
There's carbon fibre everywhere!
I think that's what I'll like about the car; how light it is.
That's what I like about my '98, but the 4C is lighter.
I don't mind the dual-clutch tranny, if it's as good as the PDK.
When I was growing up we had four Alfas.
I loved each one of them!
Happy wishing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

you loved each of the 4 Alfas?

I had 2, a Giulietta Veloce 1.3 I bought just out of school from a Rambler dealer in Chicago and a Giulia 1.6 I bought in DC. Neither lasted more then 3 years. The only worse cars in my life were a 914 and a Plymouth Horizon. Well OK, my wife's Falcon and a Volvo PV544.

They both rusted. They blew head gaskets.

Fun while they lasted but I had to be paying the local Alfa shop's mortgage.
... Saw any salted roads.

My Dad would buy them new and keep them for a couple of years and replace it with the newer model.
My all-time favorite was the Giulia ti.

Happy reminiscing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

I had a '69 Alfa 1750 Spider Veloce for 14 years. A friend still has it, takes good care of it, and drives it in good weather. It was not a trouble-free car but it remains one of my favorites.

Haven't seen a 4C yet but it seems to me that it and the Cayman are not really comparable. The 4C seems more raw-boned, more in the traditional sports car idiom, the Cayman more luxurious, better suited for traveling (it actually can hold some luggage), but also with outstanding dynamic characteristics.

In other words, I don't see the person considering a Cayman buying a 4C, and vice versa.
I can see how the Fiat may be a good choice in FL, AZ, or CA. But up here in the NE, a car like that simply won't last more than a few winters before everything rusts through. OK, so now it's no longer the floor pan… but the Italian attention to detail re: road salt mitigation has gotten a fat F- in my book for many years. For me, the biggest issue is that as pretty as the Fiat is, for that kind of money you can buy an already-depreciated Acura NSX, Elise, or similar beauty and enjoy it more.

And that's saying a lot, as I cannot stand English attempts at electrical systems / wiring.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login