Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
In observing your pictures on the DIY site, I notice what looks like your using the OEM mechanical jack to hold the engine. Is the OEM jack sufficient in holding the engine?? I'm kind of nervous of lowering the engine too quickly with a hydraulic jack (I don't want to cause any damage!). The mechanical jack looks like the perfect solution..Thanks in advance!
You should not use a hydraulic jack since are not as reliable as a mechanical one.
I use a scissors jack from a Honda, not the OEM.
The engine weighs about 400 lb and the jack is only holding half tha weigh since the engine is still attached to the tranny on the rear.
This procedure is very easy and I can even turn the scissors jack by hand without the need of the handle.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
All four bolts need to be properly torqued.
You can torque the upper bolts with either a wrench or a socket.
To use a socket you'll need to lower the front end of the engine to its max.
The wrench needs to be long so you can grab it.
I generally use a ratcheting wrench and do the final torque with a cut-off ax handle for leverage using it to push up on the wrench.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2014 10:22AM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
This is on my to do list as well. I have the part and just need the time (perhaps this weekend?) The note about using a mechanical jack is appreciated.

Chris - '01 Boxster - Seal Grey / Black / Black ; '87 944 Turbo (track beast) ; '86 944 - needs a new home!
Thanks for the reply Pedro. I was able to use a long wrench to loosen that upper left bolt but I could not get a socket on it cause the 2 bolts that hold the engine mount to the yoke are directly in the way. I need the socket to torque it to the 34 ft/lbs. I will lower the engine a little more when I go to reinstall the mount tonight but it seems those 2 bolts that hold the yoke to the mount will still be in the way as you lower. sad smiley
Well I took out the the old mount (the scissor jack worked great!) Just one question for you Pedro, were you able to torque the upper left head bolt (passenger side) that fasten the mount to the engine?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2014 06:51AM by djw8282. (view changes)
I completed the swap on my mount yesterday. Fairly straightforward with the mechanical scissor jack and a ratcheting wrench! smileys with beer
Nice! It does feel good to complete it yourself and save money! Where you able to torque that passenger side upper bolt with a torque wrench?
No - could not fit one, but I'm fairly confident I reached at least the required torque value. The old mount was about 80% failed, still a bit of rubber had not cracked. I have noticed a reduction in vibration and its even smoother engaging the clutch and shifting. Time and effort well spent!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login