Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
...hmmmm Porsche Elise and Exige? Hope Porsche doesn't get sued by Lotus. winking smiley

Just in the past year, the position was that Porsche didn't want to "water down" the brand image with a sub Boxster/Cayman.

I guess time will tell.
Just received the August issue of Automobile and on the cover is the "Sneak Preview" of the 718. States it will come with a standard 2.0 liter 285 hp and 285 lb ft of torque plus an optional 2.5 that's reported at 360 hp and 345 lb ft. To be released in 2016 starting at 40K with the 2.0 and 6 speed with a curb weight of 2625 pounds.
Pictures make it appear to be a mini boxster
Here's a link to that subject:

[www.topspeed.com]

The picture looked remarkably like a 987.2 smiling smiley

The price quoted--$10K less than the base Boxster for the 2.0L car -- makes me wonder if this will be the replacement for the Boxster rather than another model in the line. Too expensive to compete with the Miata, but more in line with the Z4-- maybe a convertible hardtop will be standard smiling smiley.
Other reports, the car pictured is a spittn' image of the Boxster GTS. The caption states that NOTE: Porsche 550 rendered here. Really?

A lot of the numbers that just don't seem to make sense. They're going to give this lighter, less expensive Porsche 718, 355 HP - that's 40 more than the current 981 S and holy moly 5 HP more than the 991!! eye popping smiley

Then they say the car will be $10K less than the current Boxster, who's price they give at $63K. Not sure where they got that price. Even in Canada the Boxster starts at $58,600 and US prices start at $51,400. So if they're talking about US prices, their math comes out at $51,400 - $10,000 = $53,000 ? confused smiley

Surprised they don't also report the car getting 63 mpg.

No idea where they're getting their info, but it just seems like a whole bunch of numbers thrown together with little of it making much sense. The whole story has more holes than a piece of Swiss Cheese.
Guenter in Ontario

Surprised they don't also report the car getting 63 mpg.

That would be the 718 TDI edition, featuring 425 ft. lb of torque at 1500 rpm and will have a standard class lll hitch for pulling trailers and tree stumps grinning smiley.
Hey Mike, I think we'd be pretty good at writing up these rumour reports. Wonder if we could make a pretty good buck doing it. grinning smiley
Take the 987.2, stick the turbo 4 in and make a few minor styling tweeks and you are done. It would save lots of $$$ on tooling up a totally new car.

Chris - '01 Boxster - Seal Grey / Black / Black ; '87 944 Turbo (track beast) ; '86 944 - needs a new home!
more faithful to the 550. The upward swoop of both front and rear fenders is very telling. Also, one theory as to the reason for the 981 Boxster's higher rear trunk is to allow for a V4, yet it seems this concept has a lower trunk. (Which to me is more pleasing and practical... visibility-wise, than the 981's.)
As the Boxster follows the 911 into higher prices, and increasingly looks like the car that really should replace the 911 were it not for the romance and mystique of the 911, it leaves open the space it might have filled, a stripped down, basic sports car.

I will say to detractors (and I'm not sure I might not become one) that in Porsche's defense, I'd rather see increase its product line in the direction of more kinds of sports cars than by adding SUVs and sedans.

2001 Base, purchased in 2004, replaced engine at 130K+, RIP 2017
While I have serious doubts if they will be producing a 355 hp 718 lighter than a Boxster in the foreseeable future, I like the idea of a smaller, lightweight sportscar - as long as it is not a rebranded VW. Isn't that how Porsche got started? Also, as a side benefit, the Boxster would no longer be the "entry level" car and could evolve without that stigma. Knowing the way Porsche manages horsepower to protect the 911, its hard to imagine they would produce an enry level car which would outperform is bigger siblings.
My first "Porsche experience" was in my older sister's 914 - the epitome of VW rebranding. It was a fun car - until the interior fell apart. Then my dad got a 204Z that changed my whole outlook.

I say that there is room for a light, no-nonsense Boxsterette. If you are complaining about the sound system or the choices for interior ambient lighting or which 27-way power seat and ultra leather coordinated interior that you want, and how your ego can hold up to being compared to a 911 owner without sufficient funds, then have at it. Knock yourself out.
The best news from my point of view is that it will be a 6 speed manual car. I could live with a manually operated top, but I have some lower back issues that make a very good adjustable seat a necessity for me. I have no problem at all keeping my current car.
Who needs interior lighting when this could sear your retinas!?
[www.2040cars.com]
Laz
[www.2040cars.com]

That is the ticket, Laz--"Corinthian" leather in bordello red. Ricardo would be proud.
Laz
[www.2040cars.com]

It would be worth having that interior for the weight savings alone. (No need for cup holders because you wouldn't need a morning coffee to wake you up in that interior.)
Many years ago, I had a 914-6. It was an incredible handling car and great fun. I wish I still had it, but had to sell it to pay tuition.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login