Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Warranty Experience - CNA Aftermarket Warranty
Nliran - Tuesday, 23 November, 2010, at 5:52:07 pm
I brought my 02Base in for a 45K - my mechanic gave me the bad news:
RMS Leak
Spark Plug Tube Leaks
Case Bolts needed to be replaced
Intermediate Shaft Bearing and Cover needed to be replaced
Tensioner seals needed to be replaced

Needless to say, the bill was about 3K and change.

CNA Insurance was great on the phone, but told me I would need to have the car looked at by a 3rd party appraiser - who went to my mechanics place and checked everything out.

My total cost = $100

I went ahead and did my 60K now since my mechanic would already be in there - Polyrib belt, filers, etc - that way I will be good on most things until 75K and most likely until 110K.

I read the contract word for word before spending 4K on the warranty. After this fix, it has paid for itself (had a couple other fixes in the last 2 years ~$800) and was well worth it, it will last another year or so.

I sure have something to be thankful for this weekend!
good for you!. Now, how did he knwo the IMS was bad?
grant - Tuesday, 23 November, 2010, at 6:02:24 pm
i don't know any way to tell without pulling it. Neither does Charles, or so he says. yes, a leak is a substantial clue.

How did your old IMS bearing look? Do you have pics? (I'll post mine around Christmas)

Grant
I've heard tell that measuring the cam timings for variations can reveal a need to probe the IMS further. IIRC it is something discussed in Jake's class for mechanics in the internals of the M96.

BTW, there is talk of a 2 day ~$500 class for owners/enthusiasts who want to understand the engine and the normal maintenance but not go into the level of detail an engine rebuilder goes into.
good point, yes, you use a durametric to...
grant - Tuesday, 23 November, 2010, at 8:24:38 pm
look at the cam timing deviation for both cams. timing changes shoudl be constant. Ideally lay the two over each other or subtract one from the other leaving the diff. i was thinking of doing that on mine, just as another clue of how far i could delay the job....

I forgot about that. Of course, IMS is only one reason you could get timing deviation.

Grant
Re: Warranty Experience - CNA Aftermarket Warranty
Nliran - Tuesday, 23 November, 2010, at 10:53:10 pm
Just found out that the IMS going is LN Engineering retro fit kit. cool smiley
Re: Warranty Experience - CNA Aftermarket Warranty
mcfly777 - Tuesday, 23 November, 2010, at 10:53:28 pm
Wow. Very lucky to have signs of deterioration. In addition, very lucky to have the warranty cover it. I just had my AOS go bad, and the warranty company denied coverage because the word "air-oil separator" was not specified in the contract. However all other issues have been covered so far (Fidelity Warranty)

Leo
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login