Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I have to say, and I know I may be in the minority here, that I hope the 718 comes out and is a great, stripped-down sports car.

I grew up in the '50s and '60s and always liked the lines of Porsches, as well as liking the MGs, Triumphs, Austin-Healys and other underpowered sportscars I'd see around. By the same token, I fell in love with the XKE, as did we all, but that's the other side of sportscars.

I don't remember whether the 550 was expensive at the time, same with the earlier 718. I do know that there are variations in people's love for a brand like Porsche -- some people want the newest, flashiest top-of-the-line 911 almost-supercar. Others admire the Porsche mystique but want something they can just knock around in or race with their friends when nobody's looking and a stripped down sort of car, an old 911 (or 912) or something like that might do the trick. I don't think one is better than the other -- neither group is prudently buying a used Honda.

So it seems to me that for this latter group, the 718 could really be an appealing car and could start another line of interest in Porsche, but one that is based on loving driving and sportscars, not one based on wanting a sedan or SUV with a Porsche badge on it.

2001 Base, purchased in 2004, replaced engine at 130K+, RIP 2017
Along those lines,
Laz - 9 years ago
while I was out earlier today a very new looking Miata passed by in the adjacent lane. I reflected on what a great car it is: the classic English sports car finally done right (speaking reliability here.) It's got a great shape, tidy, compact, and very decent-looking brakes. If I couldn't've made the stretch for the Boxsters I've had or presently own, I could be very content with the Miata. It looks so tossable, as my Alfas were. And no, this isn't an argument for those who think Boxsters are for people who can't afford a 911. Those who truly understand know they are two different cars with different design and "purpose" philosophies. That 718 looks awfully appealing.
That's the issue - size. The Miatas are beautiful roadsters, unassuming, and perfect for newlyweds (i.e. pack some contraceptives and some bubbly, because nothing else will fit in the trunk).

Unfortunately, I couldn't fit in one without hitting my legs, knees, etc. all over the place. Like the RX7, I couldn't take the foot off the gas without hitting the steering column en route to the brake pedal. That killed it for me.
Re: On the 718
MikenOH - 9 years ago
JackintheBoxster
I have to say, and I know I may be in the minority here, that I hope the 718 comes out and is a great, stripped-down sports car.

I grew up in the '50s and '60s and always liked the lines of Porsches, as well as liking the MGs, Triumphs, Austin-Healys and other underpowered sportscars I'd see around. By the same token, I fell in love with the XKE, as did we all, but that's the other side of sportscars.

I don't remember whether the 550 was expensive at the time, same with the earlier 718. I do know that there are variations in people's love for a brand like Porsche -- some people want the newest, flashiest top-of-the-line 911 almost-supercar. Others admire the Porsche mystique but want something they can just knock around in or race with their friends when nobody's looking and a stripped down sort of car, an old 911 (or 912) or something like that might do the trick. I don't think one is better than the other -- neither group is prudently buying a used Honda.

So it seems to me that for this latter group, the 718 could really be an appealing car and could start another line of interest in Porsche, but one that is based on loving driving and sportscars, not one based on wanting a sedan or SUV with a Porsche badge on it.

It's all about whether or not there is a market for that kind of Porsche--sub $50K-- as the base Boxster is just over that.

I have my doubts as to whether a lesser priced, smaller, Boxster variant if financially viable. I don't have any numbers at hand, but suspect the market for a 2 seat roadster in the $35K-45K range (just a guess) would be pretty small. Cars that come to mind are the Miata, Z4 base, 370Z to name a few but there are a number of 4 seat roadsters that will sell to people wanting a drop top but not tied to the small nimble car idea (Camaro/Mustang).
db997S - 9 years ago
You can get a fairly recent version of a used Boxster in the $35-$45K range, so why opt for a "Baby" Boxster if it is not a totally different car feel wise, looks wise, ride wise, etc wise? Even though the earler Boxsters shared a huge amount of parts with the 996 varient of the 911, they were very different cars (you couldn't tell one from the other in oncoming traffic until it was even with you). So, because all the wises mentioned earlier, you actually brought more people into the Porsche family because of the Boxster without cannabilizing much from 911 sales. Not certain if that'll happen with the 718. It either won't sell well or it will kill the used car market for Boxsters,and to some extent the Boxster market for those that stretch things financially to own a new one.
pretty, pretty, pretty amazing looking AND sounding car. I heard it first a good block away. When letting up on the gas, it crackles and pops more than Rice Krispies in milk. The front view is eh, but the rear really reminds one of the classic Jag sports cars of yesteryear, with a mondernized bent. Overall looks are aces, but saw it top down, so some cabs lose it with the top up. Not sure how they eat up the twisties or do storage wise with the top down (some tops take up 90% of available trunk space), but if they do alright, at the same price as a Boxster, watch out VW, errr, I mean Porsche. If I were in the market for a new two seater, I'd venture over to Jag to take one out for a test. As with people and dating, looks aren't everything, it's what's on the inside that counts.
db997S
As with people and dating, looks aren't everything, it's what's on the inside that counts.

Hmmm… on that basis, I'd source a car from anyone but a British manufacturer. Go enjoy the fruits of Mr. Lucas (aka the Prince of Darkness) but don't say I didn't warn you! :-D

Every 5 years someone tries to convince me that Jags are the bees knees and that Ford or whoever is silly enough to own them now have worked out the peculiarities that these car enjoyed re: reliability. Then review the self-reporting from CR and the company still is last re: reliability. It's not that Jaguar hasn't gotten better, they have (had to) but everyone else advanced also, so they're still dead last re: reliability. I bet you they'd pay money to resurrect Yugo just to be #2 from the bottom!

Don't get me wrong, some of their cars are very pretty. Some may even perform well. But they earned their reputation for a reason.
I grew up in the era where information on sports cars was obtained through the car mags and some word of mouth. As they say, the internet has changed everything. The most cursory internet search will turn up the fact that Boxster engine replacement is not all that unusual, at least when compared to other sports cars. I suspect that has a lot to do with the rather large loss in value of Boxsters as they go out of warranty. A more careful look at the reliability issue will show that the 9A1 engine has a good record in that regard. Consequently, a used 987.2 is a very good value right now. This is something a new entry from Porsche will have to deal with.
Some Boxster owners have gone through two engine failures/replacements in the same car! My two previous Boxsters were in the shop much more frequently than my 911 has been these last 4 1/2 years.
gedwin - 9 years ago
I had originally read that the new Flat4 would come in 3 sizes, starting around 1.5L, though discussions left it in question what car would get a version that small.

So, as for the "718", I'm betting on the following:

An approximately $40k competitor to the Miata class, simple and basic.
Manual trans.
Approx. 1.5L Flat4 NA making around 200HP.
Styling to remind us of the 550.
Mid-engine.
Lighter than Boxster by (hopefully) many hundreds lbs.
Manual top.

A "pure" drivers car. This seems to make the most sense in regards to their existing product line, in my opinion.

Ok, I swear that's the last edit. smiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2014 11:14AM by gedwin. (view changes)
the more I read comments on this, the more excited I am about this. This could really be the Porsche for the pure driving experience, not the super racing, luxo GT experience.
"o create greater separation from the 718, the Boxster will ascend to the top of the trio, its new premium pricing justified with additional equipment. As to the coming face-lift, it isn’t ground-shaking, but it seems safe to expect a modest visual update (bumpers, lights, wheels), a new steering wheel that incorporates a rotary drive-mode selector à la 918, additional driver-assistance systems, improved infotainment offerings, a head-up display, and optional full-LED headlights."

2001 Base, purchased in 2004, replaced engine at 130K+, RIP 2017
... I would certainly purchase one if it' comes in under 2700 lb and It's offered at 300+ HP!
Happy waiting
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Affordable, honest Porsches for those who want to drive them

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login