Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Sorry if this is long, but just trying to get thoughts on this if anyone has experienced this or something similar.

I had 2 keys and buttons on each of them wore out so that I could no longer lock or unlock the doors remotely, only using the keys in the door, that gets annoying as you may know. I had replaced the alarm computer in ~2008 and at that time didn't know the option to unlock the doors when opening the trunk was not set, so that wasn't an option either. I purchased 2 new keys from Suncoast, best deal around BTW. Anyway I took them to a local dealer in April/May to have them programmed, when I tried to open the rear trunk, nothing, front trunk and doors are fine. So I called them and took the car back in, they found a TSB stating that using the PIWIS on older 968s to program keys produces basically the symptoms I have where I can't open the rear trunk. Also of note, when putting the top up and closing the latch, the windows don't lose anymore, used to, but not since programming the new keys. This may be a setable option, but I mention it because something changed. The TSB stated an update for June 6th. So took the car back in, they had it for 3 hours and came back with a ground problem, system sees the key, red light flashes when pressing the button, no ground sent to pop the trunk. They ran a bypass wire and then were able to get the key to op the trunk. Also, system has no clue if passenger door is locked or not (This I knew ongoing problem, I had a new door lock assembly and was waiting to put it in). Anyway I took the car and told them, maybe the passenger door lock somehow had something to do with it and I'll get it replaced and see if the problem persists. I replaced it, no change. Then the dealer got pissy with me about fixing my own stuff, they only knew me from just the past couple of months and I could have done things to the car since April. (Previously I had service there but thy apparently have no records of me ever going there before). Anyway I pretty much went off on them and gave them a piece of my mind, They backed off and took the car back and gave me a loaner. They have had it for three days and off and on have been I guess attempting different things to figure this out. I am picking the car up later as I am leaving for vacation tomorrow and they will resume when I get back.

Here are the facts:
1. Old keys opened trunk
2. New keys don't after programming
3. Windows used to go up when I closed the latch after putting the top up, they no longer do, other than that the windows all work fine, I am sure there's an option in the system to set that as a preference, I only mention it as a troubleshooting item, as I have said something changed when the car was programmed by the bad PIWIS system.
4. All of this changed when new keys were programmed using a bad PIWIS software version
5. We know there was a TSB about the PIWIS software and key programming, who knows what else was affected when attempting to program keys with the bug in the software?

Any thoughts?

BTW I have a copy of the TSB.

Thanks,
-Eric
You can use a key to open the door? winking smiley

Chris - '01 Boxster - Seal Grey / Black / Black ; '87 944 Turbo (track beast) ; '86 944 - needs a new home!
introducing new keys, when there is something suspected amiss with, in your car's case, when the passenger door lock is suspected of being flaky.

'course, you are not required to know this, that is the tech's job and my WAG is he should have performed diagnostics on the system and if no problems found then proceed with the key introduction.

I know from direct experience with my '02 Boxster a bad passenger door lock assembly can cause all kinds of seemingly unrelated behavior in the car and with its security system and related systems like the windows. The car horn sounds when locking the car like there is something ajar, the passenger side window won't go down when the door is opened or worse goes down then after a moment and the door is open goes back up which gives one a nasty wake up when he closes the door with the window all the way up, or the door locks lock by themselves and while they can be unlocked with the dash button will relock again after a few moments.

I do not know what if any role the PIWIS had on the car but with the right version of this this should be able to be undone.

I have to ask if there is a possibility mice have been at the car? Or there is possibly water in the cabin, particularly under the passenger seat where the security system module is located? Have you checked the passenger door bottom for dampness or given it a good shaking listening for water sloshing? I mean you suspect the door lock assembly and they can go bad with nothing more than time and use but water can also cause initially goofy door lock and window behavior and then later behavior at other seemingly unrelated areas.

My advice is to let the dealer attempt to get the things sorted out. But you might want to mention the door lock assembly and see if that might have any bearing on the situation. I'm not sure I'd take the car back if the problem still existed. I'd leave the car and make other arrangements. If you take the car if it is not fixed to your satisfaction you signal to the dealer you, well, you will accept the car that is not fixed to your satisfaction. If you then bring the car back after your vacation the dealer may decide to cut its losses and just let you go away mad rather than spend more time trying to get this sorted out. I'm not saying I agree with this attitude or believe that is what the dealer should do or is likely to do, but it is a possibility.
[static.giantbomb.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2014 03:17PM by Laz. (view changes)
I did mention the door lock, and also replaced it and took the car back to them, still no luck. I suggested they delete all of the keys and add them back to the system now that all is well in terms of the lock assembly, the door functions properly and no more beeps when locking the doors or even when just shutting the car off.

Car got wet years ago, but as I mentioned I replaced the alarm computer, dried everything out, got new keys and all has been fine since until the passenger door lock started acting up. That now is solved as well. There have been no water issues since.

The security system is under the driver's seat, and there is no moisture there. I do not believe there have been any mice problems.

Thanks,
-Eric
ericp
I did mention the door lock, and also replaced it and took the car back to them, still no luck. I suggested they delete all of the keys and add them back to the system now that all is well in terms of the lock assembly, the door functions properly and no more beeps when locking the doors or even when just shutting the car off.

Car got wet years ago, but as I mentioned I replaced the alarm computer, dried everything out, got new keys and all has been fine since until the passenger door lock started acting up. That now is solved as well. There have been no water issues since.

The security system is under the driver's seat, and there is no moisture there. I do not believe there have been any mice problems.

Thanks,
-Eric

the security system controller for any error codes to know that.

Assuming there is not any other problem components then perhaps the incompatible version of PIWIS has left some collateral damage that has not been rectified? If so, then a reflash of the car's DME or even security module firmware may be in order. The tech ought to know but if he doesn't he can contact the factory tech support for guidance.

While there may not be any recent water damage if water was in the car before it could have resulted in corrosion forming on some contacts even though you replaced the alarm/security module. It might be time -- consult with the tech first -- to expose the security module and carefully disconnect it then reconnect it to remove any corrosion build up. I would think though that there would be error codes hinting at something amiss.

You can run your idea of removing all the keys then re-introducing them by the tech. I see nothing wrong with the idea, but there may be a problem removing them all. When one takes his car in for a new key the old keys are required (if available) to remove the no longer functioning key security codes to free up room for more new keys. There are just a few (6?) slots for keys. The two full sized keys and the valet key take up 3 of those.

These kinds of problems can be hard to work out as they are probably electrical/computer related and well these can be hard to resolve for a tech. But he should be able to rely upon his contact at the factory for guidance. But this can be a slow and frustrating process for not only you but the tech as well. I've been an bystander to this before and it can take several weeks of back and forth before things get resolved. My info is the factory techs shun email, voice mail even, and the tech just has to be lucky to catch the factory rep when he's in the office. If what I've been told is accurate the factory needs to consider moving into the 20th century, at least, regarding using some modern tools of communication to better support the network of techs which are for most Porsche owners the face of Porsche after they buy the car.
... have the car's CLU recoded with a PST-II.
Then program the keys with he same PST-Ii, nit a PWIS.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login