Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Driving some back roads to run some errands today. Good time to take advantage of that 9 second roof a couple of times.

... this is top up season for us.
It's unbearably hot, humid and rainy.
Can't wait till October when convertible season starts winking smiley
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Methinks
Boxsterra - 9 years ago
You're not driving fast enough. For me it's always top-down season except in a downpour.
... 95/95 it doesn't matter how fast you drive.
It's just too uncomfortable for the top to be down.
I HATE the heat as much as Guenter hates the white stuff.
Like I said, can't wait till Halloween whe it gets really nice out.
Happily Waiting
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Pedro (Weston, FL)
... 95/95 it doesn't matter how fast you drive.
It's just too uncomfortable for the top to be down.
I HATE the heat as much as Guenter hates the white stuff.
Like I said, can't wait till Halloween whe it gets really nice out.
Happily Waiting
Pedro

Yikes!! Starting to feel sorry for you Floridians. November - April. Your convertible season is a lot shorter than ours. winking smiley

..hmmmm 95 ain't so bad. Even didn't mind 104 in Death Valley. Not much chance of rain of course. But if it did, that would be the time to put the top up. In my 987 it took 13 seconds. Still not much of a problem.

... degrees, but the combination with 95 % humidity.
Dry heat is much easier to tolerate. You sweat and it evaporates, making your skin cooler.
With humid heat you sweat and sweat and sweat and can't cool off.
You can't go anywhere without sweating. That to me is miserable.
I'm glad you guys can enjoy our hellish time of the year.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Re: When it's ...
db997S - 9 years ago
You need the GT cruiser option for ventilated seats. Really helps on those hot days.
Although the seat fans are somewhat independent of the AC, below a certain interior (or ambient) temperature (near freezing) they won't go on, just as the AC itself won't function below a certain threshold.
I believe are totally independent of the AC. I seldomly use AC and I know the vented seats work fine with AC off, as they only pull are from the seat surface and exit at the bottom of the seat somewhere. When ordering, Porsche requires them to be part of the package that includes Auto Climate Control as opposed to standard AC.
I've noticed in very cold weather, when the switch(es) are pressed, their LEDs will flash on for a split second, but remain off otherwise. Once the car's interior warms, they then function.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2014 12:00PM by Laz. (view changes)
I'm more inclined to use the heated seat function at those temperatures, instead. winking smiley
It minimizes being subject to evaporative cooling (wind chill) because of the seat heater having caused localized sweating and moisture entrapment. Even while sitting in the car, it's nice to have dry heat from your shoulders to the backs of your knees. Believe me, it works. Seat heating plus ventilation is analogous to using the AC in cold (especially damp) weather in order to keep the inner glass surfaces clear.
Having a heated steering wheel is nice, too, especially for those with Reynaud's Syndrome in that gloves are less necessary, allowing for better manipulation of console controls, etc.
Guenter in Ontario
I'm more inclined to use the heated seat function at those temperatures, instead. winking smiley

You will never be able to try that feature at that temperature, because at 32 F, you are not supposes to put down the top....so it will stay a myth until this equation is proven false:

Guenter=Topless

grinning smiley

MIKELLIG
The venting's wicking effect works AC or not; top up or down to some degree, unless the interior (I believe) is below a certain temperature.
I have lowered the top when temps are below freezing. Car was in the garage, above freezing. With engine warm. The top gets warm too, so then it's (in my opinion) ok to raise it. Key being the roof membrane needs to be warm and pliable to prevent damage.
Yes, there are other parts that wouldn't be happy with being exercised when cold. My car is in-house garage kept, and I'm not that impetuous to drop the top on a freezing day even if the car itself is warm.
Some water will work its way around and over the a-pillar. A hat will take care of any spray over the windshield. Hard braking to get quickly under an overpass will allow for getting the top up.
it even starts coming over and around the windows and spray starts to get the rollbar/windstop and back carpeting damp....so they say. They say it's particularly bad on parts of I-77 where there's no shoulder to pull over.
And eyeglass wearers would be compromised, unless those Crizal lenses, etc, really do the job.
But I also really admire the 'zen like' beauty of the desert photo, too. Your first Boxster was quite a gorgeous car in its own right. Hope all is well.

Kind regards, -rick.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login