Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
I searched the archives. The only thing that came up involved newer cars, 981's. Mine is a 2008, 987. I left the parking lights on, then left for vacation. As you might expect, it was dead when I returned. The battery is original, so even if it takes a charge, I am going to replace it. But what about getting it started now? I have a few options and questions:

Is it ok to use jumper cables with another car to start it?a

I can probably get it rolling down a hill nearby with a bit of pushing. But if I can't jump start it this way, it will be sitting away from my house for a few days. It's a good neighborhood, but you never know. It's a manual, and I know how to do this, but I remember years ago that sometimes this fails, for what reasons I don't recall, but probably because some other electrical component was also bad.

I have a battery charger (not a trickle charger) that I have never used, so I am hesitant to hook it up with the battery in the car. I thought about taking the battery out to hook it up. Is that a reasonable thing to try, or is it better to use a charger while the batter is in the car?

My goal is to get the car started so I can drive it to get a new battery. Fairly simple, but any other options or advice for how best to do it is appreciated.

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
If you have a battery charger ... I would take out the battery, charge it and then try to start the car.
Good luck
No problem.
grant - 9 years ago
You can jump start it with cables - assuming you can get the trunk open.

If the trunk is closed you can either find the emergency wire in the fender, or put jumper cables to the fuse-box, with just enough power to use the trunk opening button - NOT TO START THE CAR!!!!!!!!!.

There is a fake fuse in there to clamp the +12 claw onto. I personally hate doing this and so i made a special tool part 996.N.grant that is a wire soldered to a blown fuse that plugs in and provides power to the battery-side (not the draw side).

True jump starting - pop the clutch while rolling is often the easiest. You know what killed the battery so you are 95% sure it will start.
The battery may be OK once charged.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Push starting will probably not work. The ECU needs a certain threshold voltage or it will not work and you won't get FI or spark. I would jump or recharge. Heck, if you are getting a new battery anyway, just put the new one in.
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
do you need to start the car with the old battery? I dislike messing with the battery in my car at any time. If the battery is not up to its job I prefer to replace it and not fool with chargers, conditioners, or jump start cables.

As for push starting, push starting is for 1968 VW's, not modern Porsches.
Of course you can use jumper cables and jump it from another car. You have to get the front hood open. If you don't have the power in the battery to do so, see above regarding pulling that cable. There is another access to the cable that is under the dash above where the fuse box is.
As described in the owner's manual. Don't know if its because of the AGM battery, the regenerative braking, or something else about the charging circuitry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2014 03:21PM by Laz. (view changes)

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Laz
As described in the owner's manual. Don't know if its because of the AGM battery, the regenerative braking, or something else about the charging circuitry.

I was curious and looked at the online version of the manual. [www.porscheownersmanuals.com] Looks fairly standard to me.

Cheers,

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login