Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
1) The coolant temperature when the engine of the Boxster (S) is at operating
temperature is 221° F; if you activate the sport or sport + mode, the temperature will drop to 185 F.

2) The PTV proves a locking differential with the manual. The
locking value is 22% (traction) and 27% (deceleration).
Can anyone elaborate on what these figures mean?

3) Probably old news but, at higher transmission oil temperatures, the oil can also be cooled via the heat exchanger. Had no idea that the car was equipped with a transmission cooler.

4) The coolant temp. gauge shows 194 F. when the car is operating within normal temperatures
at normal operating temperatures (185--221F)
On our car it's really 200deg F.

5) If I understand this correctly then, you can get -1.3 camber (F) with stock suspension and -1.5 camber with PASM--a significant increase over the 987.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2014 08:40AM by Boxsterra. (view changes)
Mike, just a few observations and comments.

1. Once mine is up to operating temperature, my 981 ALWAYS stays at 90° C (194° F). At least that is what the gauge reads. The tech that did the PDI on my car told me that Porsche doesn't want it showing more because people might worry. No matter what type of driving I do - interstate cruising, sporty driving, slow , high speeds, I've never seen the coolant temperature drop bellow 90° C once it reaches that temperature.

3. I believe this is the transmission oil water heat exchanger. Got this picture when they were doing the PDI on CURVEN8R 2

4. I believe Mike (lawdevil) had his car in for service and they did a software update, which ended up recalibrating / resetting the coolant temp gauge to show a max of 194° F instead of the 200° F it showed before.
4. That's right. Apparently, there is a service bulletin to update the instrument software when you take it in for service.

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
We all know about that fixed coolant temp. gauge for a while, but I didn't know what the ranges were for it to show that. The inference is if it does get out of that range (higher) it would show the real temp(?).

I'll have to ask the tech about the software update when I go in next month to get the brakes "burped" for the next DE.

That tranny heat exchanger is really interesting; I wonder if it was on earlier Boxsters? A bit more info on something related to it--there is a temperature sensor in the tranny which communicates with the ECU and is incorporated with the car's thermal management system.
Seems like a great way to keep the tranny cooler without getting too exotic.
Numbers per MikenOH's post
1. It's almost weird that the temperature can actually be dropped. Apparently I've not driven my car hard enough to cause that.
2. Half thought out conjecture: I think they are gear ramp angles (or something like that) values or a left/right torque differential (as a percentage) above (below?) which the wheels are decoupled. No matter what values these numbers represent, it's likely a fairly mild as its for a street car (nobody wants either rear wheel to be overdriven versus either side of the car's "ground speed." ) Also, it likely takes into account the car's other traction (stability) controls. I got PTV in a quest to maximize all-weather capability.
3. Yeah, the tranny cooling is quite something. I've got so-called dealer only technical paper and its description of the cooling system having all sorts of programming is just one amazing part of the car's technology.
4. My car always and only displays 200º F at full operating temperature. I asked my dealer if it could be programmed to show the real temperatures when it's above that, but they said they couldn't. The ruler gauge also seems to correspond to that maximum although it's got a red zone at far right. I wonder, but don't want to find out, if at some really high, but not dangerous, temperature the gauge indicator resumes moving toward the red zone.
5. Someone else will have to do the math/geometry on this.

Numbers per Guenter's post
1. See 1 above.
2. See 2 above (not sure if it helps or is confusing.)
3. Nice, clear shot of the thing. (986s and 7s don't have it?)
4. Don't understand the point of seeing 194 max instead of 200. See 4 above.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2014 08:59PM by Laz. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login