Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
I love my 987. Seven years in, and it continues to feel like an extension of my body.

Like many of us here, I once owned a Miata. It was great fun - a reliable and far better performing MGB 'equivalent'. Recently, I drove a 2014 Miata. Pleasant car, handles well, but not in the same league at all as the Boxster. I was startled by the difference between my memory and today's reality.

I can't think of another car that offers anything even remotely close to the value offered by our Boxsters.

As sports car enthusiasts, we are most certainly living in the right time.

Closest I've driven to the Boxster is an Audi TT, back when they were still available with a real transmission. It was a nice car to drive, but to me it was worth waiting a few extra years to be able to afford a Boxster.

As you said, Roger, there's no other car that I've driven that makes me feel at one with the car the way the Boxster does. I never feel like I'm having to muscle the car through the twisty roads. We just dance through the curves together. The Zen of driving.

we really are lucky to be driving these cars.
Guenter in Ontario
As you said, Roger, there's no other car that I've driven that makes me feel at one with the car the way the Boxster does. I never feel like I'm having to muscle the car through the twisty roads. We just dance through the curves together. The Zen of driving.

Hey Guenter, sounds like you have never driven a Cayman S. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out I believe mine was born yesterday or today. Should be at the dealer in 30 days. Just starting to get really excited to drive a Porsche with the engine in the correct place.
... a Cayman is just the Boxster coupe.
BTW congrats on the birth of the new "baby".
Can't wait to see it.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Pedro....
Harvey in FL - 9 years ago
Pedro (Weston, FL)
Can't wait to see it.

Don't you really mean....drive it?
Harvey in FL

Hey Guenter, sounds like you have never driven a Cayman S. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out I believe mine was born yesterday or today. Should be at the dealer in 30 days. Just starting to get really excited to drive a Porsche with the engine in the correct place.

I'm driving a Boxster S and I drove the hard top version, AKA Cayman, on the track. Although Porsche markets them as different cars, it just ain't so. Just depends on whether you want the convertible or coupe version. You can't go wrong with either one.

Congrats on your new born. Are you going to be tracking it while it's being shipped? At least you won't have to "stalk" it like a certain California Boxster owner did while it was being shipped through the Panama Canal. winking smiley Exciting times for you for sure.
Harvey, say what?
Bobtesa - 9 years ago
Harvey,

If you are who I think you are - you were in the DC area and moved to Florida, right? Didn't you go from a Boxster to the dark side? Now back to mid-engine (Cayman S). Congrats on the new baby, but please let us know why the change of heart.

Bob - from the original 1990's breakfast and drive group in DC
Bobtesa
Harvey,

If you are who I think you are - you were in the DC area and moved to Florida, right? Didn't you go from a Boxster to the dark side? Now back to mid-engine (Cayman S). Congrats on the new baby, but please let us know why the change of heart.

Yes, I am the guy from MD. Where you with the our group of new Boxster owners who went to Summit Point in the spring of 2000 for the high performance driving clinic? Driving the old Chevy's in the morning and our cars in the afternoon. WOW, that was a blast.

I went to a 997 back in 2008. It was not the dark side, just the faster side. With Manny Alban's encouragement, after retiring to FL, I started doing DE's at Sebring. I can't believe I missed out on all the years I owned a Porsche and never tracked it. I was ready for a new car and talked with many past 911 owners who are now driving Cayman's at the track. One guy I talked with (semi pro driver) had returned back from test driving the Cayman and 991 at the Ring in Germany. He said for a old guy like me, who still wants to continue to drive a Porsche like it's meant to be driven on the track, I should get the Cayman over the 991. The Cayman will be faster with the PDK and the car will be more forgiving than the 991 on the track. At Sebring, it took me time to heal and toe from 5th gear down to 2nd gear going into turn # 7. Now, I will be able to concentrate more on my breaking and turn in points. BTW: I have only owned cars with manual transmissions.

I loved my 997. It took be a while to learn how to drive correctly and faster around Sebring given it was in a 911. I will miss that car just as much as my first Porsche, a 2000 Boxster S.
Yes that group
Bobtesa - 9 years ago
Harvey,

Yes, I was part of the country rides through Skyline drive, and the Summit Point DE when we had the track and instructors all to our 18 car selves. I forgot about driving the old Chevy's w/o ABS. It was fascinating and hands on learning to, in a safe setting, to fully lock the brakes, turn the steering wheel, and NOTHING happened! That's the extreme part of the turning circle taught in DE, but we can never achieve it (not that you want to) with our cars.

The "Dark Side" is a joke, I'm sure you loved the car. My guess is the CaymanS with PDK on the track will be incredible. I never even tried heel/toe, just too much to do when going at speed, hitting the brakes hard, and trying to get the line right at speeds that are close my personal limit.

Good luck with it,
Bob
Harvey
Congrats on the new car--you will love it!

Regarding the GTS, you're exactly right about in the package you get stuff you don't necessarily want to pay for. You can elect for the X73 suspension--which I hope you ordered if you're doing DEs--but you don't save any $.

Interestingly enough, the extra power is at the top of the rev band--nice to have if you rev the motor at the track, but unnoticeable on the street.

BTW, what all did you get on the car?
Excellent choice or the CS over the BS, otherwise known as the Cayman rag top winking smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Gary in SoFL
Excellent choice or the CS over the BS, otherwise known as the Cayman rag top winking smiley

Gary: What came first...the Chicken or the egg?

Let me help you:

Boxster S: 2000
Cayman S : 2006

cool smiley

MIKELLIG
BLKBOXS
Gary in SoFL

Gary: What came first...the Chicken or the egg?

Let me help you:

Boxster S: 2000
Cayman S : 2006

cool smiley

Took that long to finally get it right.....

Just kidding. Each in it's own time.

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
MikenOH

The bold items were recommended by a pro driver for DE events.....note no PASM (not needed on the track)

Cayman S
19" Boxster S Wheels (more track tire options)
Alum Brushed Package
Black Std Int
BOSE Surround Sound System
Center Console Alum
Convenience Package
Deletion Model Design
Fire Extinguisher
Instrument Dials in White
ParkAssist (Front and Rear)
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV)
GT Silver Metallic
Seat Ventilation
Smoking Package
Sport Chrono Package
Sport Design Steering Wheel
Sport Seats Plus
Sport Suspension

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2014 09:31PM by Harvey in FL. (view changes)
You'll love the Cayman. It's a great car. Born from inspired Boxster design and lineage. My 2012 'R' says hello.

Fyi, I still have my Rainforest Green 2000 Boxster S. This is from an early 2000s BRBS event.

Can't wait to see pics of your incoming car!

Kind regards, -rick.
Rick J (Nashville, TN)
My 2012 'R' says hello.

Hey Rick,

If they still made the "R" I would be driving one today. Hope you have had the car on the track.

Regards, Harvey

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2014 11:37AM by Boxsterra. (view changes)
Looks like a very nice setup that should work well at DEs.

Harvey in FL
MikenOH

The bold items were recommended by a pro driver for DE events.....note no PASM (not needed on the track)

Cayman S
Alum Brushed Package
Black Std Int
Center Console Alum
Convenience Package
Deletion Model Design
Fire Extinguisher
GT Silver Metallic
Seat Ventilation
Smoking Package
Sport Chrono Package
Sport Seats Plus
Sport Suspension
people like the sport chrono for the track. It simply re-maps the throttle response, and adds a timer, right?

I dont like touchy throttles.

OTOH, my car has electronic nothing so i may be missing some detail.

Agree on the sport suspension vs PASM.

Strongly agree with the most bolstered seats possible. The older Cayman sport seats were terrific for a factory fitment.

Something's wrong with the display (site related) - having trouble reading, sorry.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
grant
people like the sport chrono for the track. It simply re-maps the throttle response, and adds a timer, right?

Grant

Sport chrono on the 981 quickens throttle response, gives you the timer and also includes adjustable transmission mounts which stiffen during aggressive driving (I think it works something like PASM suspension).

With manual transmission, it also automatically rev matches (again, something that I enjoy doing myself) on down shifts.

With PDK, it also includes launch control.
grant

The sport chrono package definition...

"The second function is the ‘motorsport- derived gearshift strategy’. In this mode, PDK is designed for very short shift times and optimum shift points, while torque boosts during gear changes provide the maximum acceleration available. This involving experience is further enhanced by overrun downshifts and the throttle-blip function for uncompromising driving pleasure."

In other words, faster and higher rpm up shifts. I understand after three laps on the track, the computer program will memorize what you have doing and down shift much better. A must have for track use.
Harvey in FL

Cayman S
Alum Brushed Package
Black Std Int
Center Console Alum
Convenience Package
Deletion Model Design
Fire Extinguisher
GT Silver Metallic
Seat Ventilation
Smoking Package
Sport Chrono Package
Sport Seats Plus
Sport Suspension

Looks like you've got a great setup for track/enthusiastic driving, Harvey. PDK - yup if the most important thing is fastest track time. For me it's still the satisfaction of driving, so a few tenths here or there won't effect my world championship standings. Just two different priorities.

But, you're going to LOVE the way this car handles. The Sport Suspension is a no brainer if you want the best handling Boxster/Cayman. To boot, you've got those potholeless roads in Florida.

Sport Seats Plus - you'll love those. They're comfortable on a long trip and hold you in place in the corners.

Vented seats are really nice on a hot sticky day. They just make your back comfortable, not cold. I love them in my car. Not sure how much you'll need them in an enclosed car with AC on.

I was also debating about the instrument dials in white as I think the Tach would be easier to read in some light conditions rather than the aluminum look one. You still end up with dials in 2 different colours. I really wish Porsche gave the option of having the tachometer in black dial, so all the dials are the same colour and easy to read.

You'll love this car. Just be careful that your left foot doesn't go to sleep on your while driving. winking smiley
I was considering the GTS; but, I was not interested in some options which I could not opt out of: 20" wheels, leather interior, and PASM. My actual car came in about $8K less than the GTS. I'm very sure Pedro will find the extra 15hp for a lot less than the price of the GTS. That's a lot of track tires and brakes for the difference. But then again, it's the driver that will make it go faster, sometimes not the hp.

BTW: I'm following you with the GT Silver exterior.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2014 04:32PM by Harvey in FL. (view changes)
Harvey in FL
I was considering the GTS; but, I was not interested in some options which I could not opt out of: 20" wheels, leather interior, and PASM. My actual car came in about $8K less than the GTS. I'm very sure Pedro will find the extra 15hp for a lot less than the price of the GTS. That's a lot of track tires and brakes for the difference. But then again, it's the driver that will make it go faster, sometimes not the hp.

BTW: I'm following you with the GT Silver exterior.

I agree with you completely, Harvey. I also optioned my 981S the way I wanted. The GTS has a number of options I don't use or need. If you option a 981 S similar to the GTS, it comes in at about $3K less. For that extra money, you get different bumper covers and 15 extra HP. My butt-o-meter would not be able to tell the difference between getting to 60 mph in 5.0 or 5.1 seconds.

I agree that the driver is a huge part of the equation of a car's performance.

There are actually two reasons I posted that video.

1. It shows just how good the 981S has become (I know it's a GTS in the test, but the performance difference between it and the S is so miniscule.. 10 years ago, who would have thought that the Boxster would be as good (I'd even dare to say, better) as the GT3.

2. Some people complain that the Boxster has gone up in price in the last 10 years. Now you can buy a properly (for best handling/performance) equipped 981S for around $70K. It is roughly the equivalent of that '03 GT3 that cost around $125K. The Boxster has come a long way and looking at how much it has improved makes its price look pretty reasonable.

OK, so you must be getting pretty darn excited with your new Cayman only about a month away. Looking forward to pictures. I know I've said this before too. I love Porsches and in particular Boxsters in almost any colour, just that mine have to be silver, and right now, the best available silver is GT because it doesn't have any other colours mixed in. That is just my choice. You will love the colour.
Harvey in FL
Guenter in Ontario

Hey Harvey, You're going to love DE in a Cayman. I continue to slide down the slippery slope and I also blame Manny for this affliction. The Cayman seems a little quicker than the Boxster - a little less flex perhaps, but higher top end due to the aero.

My current ride at Watkins Glen a few weeks ago.

And the tow vehicle and trailer.

Hopefully, I'll see you at Sebring for a DE one day soon!

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
Nicely put.
Laz - 9 years ago
I sort of see my 88 CRX as an old friend; at this point a very old friend. Either of my Boxsters were/are precision* machines and rolling works of art.
*It's hard to explain to people who have only driven "normal" cars how good a vehicle can feel, and that driving a Boxster with any hint of its capabilities can be perceived by others as being aggressive. (Jean Shepherd said something to the effect that, "Anyone driving faster than you is a maniac; anyone driving slower is an idiot." ) One vast difference between the mundane and the sublime is the linearity of the responses: You turn the wheel of a Porsche and the car yaws; not pitching and rolling and then yawing. Once I was given a Toyota Solara as a loaner. It had ridiculously fast-ratioed, over-assisted steering, which would only exacerbate its knock-kneed turning "response." Another analogy is to think of shaving with a dull blade every day.
This is not a knock on anyone for any reason. It is just individual differences. I know I don't hear subtle things in music as do others. I enjoy it, but a lot is lost on me. Some people can smell/taste all the fruity tones in wine. I like some wines, but a very good wine is probably lost on me. I used to play competitive amateur golf at the state level. I think I appreciate what the pros do more than the average golfer.

As for cars, for most people they are a means to an end. I take my Boxster out to drive sometimes with no where to go. I like music, some wine, but I "love" (fully appreciate?) golf and my Porsche. Nothing wrong with that.

I love my wife, kids, grandkids and friends without the quotes.
drinking and driving don;t mix.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
I think Steve likes the Cayman

Yup. That's the way I feel when I'm driving CURVEN8R 2. Basically that Cayman is the same optioned car except for the few extra HP and of course I can drive topless whenever I want.

OK, now you've gone and done it. I feel an errand coming on. smiling bouncing smiley

PS, just hope Steve's enthusiasm and love of driving doesn't have Harvey send his car back to have them put a proper manual 6 speed in it. winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2014 06:37PM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login