Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Had a blast at the Porsche driving school in
Bob D - Monday, 31 January, 2011, at 3:37:12 pm
Birmingham Al at the Barber race track. Drove a Carrera S, Cayman S, and a Boxster. I own a 2008 Cayman S so I wanted to drive it on the track and see how it handled compared to the others. Result is that they all handled great. I was surprised how good the Carrera handled compared to the mid - engine Cayman and Boxster. The PDQ automatic transmission was great. At the end of the day the instructors took us for a ride in a Carrera Turbo and a Panorama Turbo with the "launch button" Both these cars sounded and looked like an F-16 fighter jet taking off. Most of the cars had less than 2000 miles, and they were started and stopped frequently after about 10 minutes of use at RPM's at red line. So much for proper break - in of engine. Recommend to all of you - very informative and lots of fun. Bob.
Re: Had a blast at the Porsche driving school in
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 31 January, 2011, at 4:21:56 pm
Bob, Did you do the one or two day sessions?

I would love to hear a little more about your experience and impressions.

My Bucket List is growing. cool smiley

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
classroom, auto cross course in a Boxster ( see how fast you can go without hitting the cones), training on how not to skid on wet pavement on a figure 8 course with a Carrera S, and mostly driving a Carrera S or a Cayman S on the race track learning the key entry and exit points maneuvering around turns and the dynamics of using your brakes for weight transfer assisting in turns. Also great BBQ for lunch. On site is also the world's largest museum of motorcycles which we toured. Bob.
i've learned volumes in DE. No car comparison though, and i dont recall seeing Hurley int he right seat :-)

Grant
like .....where a car's limits are. What happens as you approach them, and eventually exceed them. How it recovers. How to balance it - either using throttle to adjust attitude (my attitude improves with massive throttle for example), or steering and throttle to balance a slight drift ( if much hard packed green stuff extends to the outside of your line). It will forever change how and when you brake, how you match revs, and how you view corners. Everything is an apex these days. It even makes the ride smoother for your passengers if done at normal speeds.

As in any sport, the equipment is never the limiting factor.

Grant
I've been meaning to do this for years...
AS2003 - Monday, 31 January, 2011, at 11:07:49 pm
Thanks for the write-up. Any thoughts on whether the second day is worth the extra money?
The second day ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 31 January, 2011, at 11:14:11 pm
... is really worthwhile because you can learn a great deal more on back-to-back days.
Generally we only do a DE event every couple of months.
And as a student, you will get bombarded with so much information that you can barely process it all.
On the second day of an event, you are much more receptive to this information and you have the previous day's fresh in your mind.
I highly recommend it for all levels including Solo group.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
to expand more fully....
grant - Tuesday, 1 February, 2011, at 9:09:57 am
Now have 17 DE days under my belt over a period of 3 years.

The first year i did one event. Good, but by the next year, much was forgotten. Bad habits returned. Feel from the track was lost. Not gone, but diminished.

Next year then, on much pressure to be serious if i wanted ot get any good, i did two. Big improvement.

Each time you go out, you work on something new and a small new world opens up.

I also attend one 3-day event each year. In part because its a fabulous track ( tracks are like golf courses, you want to experience the terrors of each and some have more terrain to eat your balls...) and in part because its a great party, and finally because it turns out, 3 days let's you rally get a rhythm going. So each year i trek 505 miles to VIR, drive 3 days, and trek 505 miles back. And its worth it. Gorgeous place.

This year i did 3 events - Lime Rock, Monticello, VIR. All with NNJR. (plus the usual herd of AutoXes, including the Zone 1 finals)

Early on you'll overcome fear, learn the basics of lines, learn how to brake and gauge speed and distance, etc. Slowly. Then you'll start pushing closer to the limit, experiencing different slip angles (which are tiny little slides at 80 mph or whatever), work on smoothness ( that never ends). Finally, you'll start being fancier with things like heal and toe braking/rev matching and how harrowing that is under pressure even when you do it Ok on the street.

Finally, every instructor finds something new. My first time at VIR (and 2nd time on track) my regular instructor spent 2 1/2 days with me and then left early to trek to Florida. So another instructor (who i know anyway) jumped in when i asked. He IMMEDIATELY foudn something the other guy either missed or tactically ignored. And it helped. So i find each instructor ( the better ones anyway) leaves his or her own little signature. Front he guy who convinced me that tires sing when they are happy to the mystery guy above.

Finally, like any sport, it takes practice. And i would suspect 5 consecutive days >>> 2 (year off) 2 (year off) 1.

Oh don't forget AutoX where you can learn -- and vastly exceed - the limits of your car with nearly no ramifications. except to the cones and maybe your ego.

Grant

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2011 09:18AM by grant. (view changes)
That's good info ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 1 February, 2011, at 9:22:14 am
... and the pointer about AX is very good.
You should not underestimate how much AX'ing can help your High Speed Track Driving.
When going to the AX (as well as the track) leave your ego at home.
If you do, it really becomes fun, even when you spin the car because you overstepped the limit.
I generally spin at least once at the AX. That reminds me of where the limit is.
You know what they say: "If you don't spin, you're not trying hard enough".
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Re: to expand more fully....
MikenOH - Tuesday, 1 February, 2011, at 10:10:32 am
+1 on 3 day DE's; here in OH there's a good chance of getting rain on any particular day, so a 3 day event pretty much insures you should have at least one dry day out of three.

One of the guys in our club that we drive with keeps copious notes on each track (which I've started to do), regarding speeds, braking points, lines, etc.. so that when he returns he's not trusting memory for everything.

Regarding NNJPCA--this has become our club of choice to do DE's with, even though we're in OH. 3 days worth of driving, usually for about $400/driver is a great deal. The crew that runs it is very experienced at running DE's so they are well organized and run a safe event.

We did the NNJ VIR event this past November event and it was our first time at VIR; have to agree, it is one track you don't want to miss.
BTW, I'd recommend their event at Mid-OH as another event to make if you can--very different from VIR, but a lot of fun.
Re: Had a blast at the Porsche driving school in
Alcantera - Tuesday, 1 February, 2011, at 10:11:27 pm
For my 50th Birthday my wife sent me to the bridge stone driver training course at mosport. I spent the day in a formula ford lapping the development track. Since I'm a 235lb 48 petite it was fun getting into the car. My assigned mechanic removed the seat and I sat on the floor pan. Great fun till the last twenty minute session then the combination of heat ,g force and vibration made my stomach turn over . I was green around the gills but grinning from ear to ear. Great fun, scratch one off the bucket list. thumbs up
"48 petite" ... LOL grinning smiley *NM*
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 1 February, 2011, at 11:34:57 pm
Pedro Bonilla

Re: "48 petite" ... LOL grinning smiley
Alcantera - Wednesday, 2 February, 2011, at 9:37:20 am
Pedro if I get down to Florida this spring, I will teach you the 48 petite racing advantage ! forget heel toe downshifting it just sounds good but really does nothing. What you need to learn is the seat slider shift . Here's how it works, you need traction coming off the corner ? grab the seat adjuster and move your petite frame back 8 inches , a little understeer ? move the seat ahead. Throw away that brake proportioning valve ,you now know seat slider 101 . inside wheel spin? place your hand on the passenger seat and lean that way. Forget all that garbage that guy from lotus spouts about less weight equals faster laps . Enjoy a burger and fries before your next race you will get a better drive off the corner.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login