Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
[www.carmagazine.co.uk]

2001 Base, purchased in 2004, replaced engine at 130K+, RIP 2017
There seems to be an effort, organized or not, to encourage us to give up our sixes for a turbocharged four. This reminds me of the time when pollution controls were introduced and premium leaded gas became unavailable. This time around, we will not be forced to give up our cars or modify them due to fuel requirements. I had a BMW R90S motorcycle which I refused to modify and ran for years on a mixture of premium unleaded and 100 octane low lead aviation gas. Sold it before injuring or killing myself.
I think the DFI technology opens a whole new set of doors. I don't like the way four cylinder engines feel, but...... if they can produce smoothness, both in power delivery and vibration, while delivering more torque and responsiveness in a lighter car with more fuel efficiency, well why not? It is just emotions..... I had a hard time giving up the V8. But then again, enjoying a car is by definition, emotional.

Would Porsche move to a four in the 911? Probably not.... after all they have not ditched the rear engine design when the speeds, horsepower, and highways have made it a non-optimal design a long time ago. If you want it, and they can sell many, they will do anything.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
My main concern would be reliability of a new design and low RPM torque. When pollution controls were first introduced it forced the manufacturers to eventually go to fuel injection and computer controlled engine management, but it took a few years for them to get it right. I suspect the ultimate solution to performance with very low fuel consumption will be the hybrid design similar to the 918 but with lower cost components.
Why does it have power steering at all? With a car that light, heck, even with our cars, you don't need power steering. No PS will give a more purist feel, which is what they are going after and save weight at the same time.
barely moving and required a large diameter wheel to obtain enough leverage too boot.

My WAG is it is less the tires than the requirement a large steering wheel be fitted and most drivers would shun the car after a test drive due to its hard to turn steering. In fact I suspect most would give up before getting the car out of the dealer parking lot.

Oh, reminds me I got to experience my VW Golf without any power steering when the V-belt snapped while on the freeway. No problems at all while on the freeway or even taking an off ramp. But when the light at the ramp changed and I went to make a sharp left hand turn it was like the wheel was frozen. Caught me off guard so much so that I had to stop the car and back up and then really forcefully crank the wheel over to make the turn. The VW had 15" stock wheels/tires too.

Which reminds me: My Datsun 510 had no power steering and wasn't that difficult to steer. 'course, it too had a large wheel much larger in diameter than is fashionable now, and was really light weighing in at under 2000 lbs. 2 doors. No sun/moon roof. No power steering. No power brakes. No A/C. No power windows, or power door locks. Not much insulation. Very basic car actually. Not that hard to steer at any time but not a car for today's market. As much as I liked that car then I wouldn't have it now as a gift.
My '86 944 has a manual rack. I did the conversion myself when I got tired of chasing PS leaks. You cannot beat it for road feel / feedback, but it is a workout in a parking lot.

Chris - '01 Boxster - Seal Grey / Black / Black ; '87 944 Turbo (track beast) ; '86 944 - needs a new home!
On page D10 in the Gear and Gadgets section the auto writer Dan Neil reviews the new Alfa Romeo 4C and mentions it has no power steering.

It is a mid-engine car weighing in 445 pounds less than a Porsche Cayman. U. S. spec curb weight is 2465lbs. Mr. Neil doesn't seem to be put off by the lack of power steering, in fact just the opposite.

"… the 4C's steering touch is wonderfully vivid and alert, nicely snappish off center and then, as you bend toward the corner apex and the loads increase, the steering effort gets heavy and you might have to saw the wheel a bit to stay on top of your cornering drift. Oh, I remember, driving."
Another reason to think about defecting from Boxsters.

2001 Base, purchased in 2004, replaced engine at 130K+, RIP 2017
At just a bit over 2400 lbs in curb weight and with 205/40/18 tires in front, I would think non-power assisted steering makes sense.
The problem starts when you start adding wider tires and wheels; the stock Boxster tires are 235/45/18 tires on 8" rims and has a curb weight closer to 2900 lbs..

IIRC, the original Boxster had 205/50/17 tires and 7" front rims on it.
You know, I think this is the new Boxster. £32,000 = $55,000

Do you really think they will have two cars that look almost identical, both convertibles, and both the same price?????

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Not sure what the differential in the US should be but I'm thinking it will have to be around $40K or a bit less.
I have no qualms about a 4 cyl engine. I'm not that enthused about turbos, though. I've never cared for the "on or off" power nature of turbos, and then there's the issue of reliability and complexity. But turbos will be finding their way into more and more cars. So we'd better get used to the idea.

Pleased to think Porsche is considering a return to their philosophy of simplicity, purity, and less is more.
or even the contemporary Prius I now own, I am struck by how noisy they were/are due to the weight savings being achieved with thin metals and little sound absorbing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login