Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I treat my plastic with Vinylex. But, I have not treated the plastic covers in the door panels because I don't want anything to get on the speakers, but also because there are so many tiny holes, I figure the Vinylex would just accumulate in the holes, nukes and crannies. So, it occurred to me to remove the plastic pieces, than I can safely spray the entire piece and dry if off with air (from something like my shot vac).

So, before I break something, does any one know if those pieces simply pry off from the door? I would think they do, but better to check first.

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
so the door panel may have to be removed first before the speaker grill can be removed.

Do you need to use this Vinylex?

I apply nothing but a damp clean rag or a plain old moistened towelette to the speaker panels and other plastic panels and vinyl and even leather surfaces in my car. But I don't even do this very often. The dash and instrument cluster gets brushed with a very soft natural bristles brush to remove dust with out scratching the soft plastic that cover these items. Very rarely, only if things are particularly dirty/dusty, I'll use a shop vac with a brush tip.

My desire is to never remove any interior panel unless absolutely necessary. These are pretty fragile to begin with and they get more so over time. Periodically removing them then snapping them back into place is just asking for a retaining tab or clip or something to break. Body interior pieces are hard to replace with auto makers running out of new stock on these items before they run out of just about any other new stock parts.
I have removed the door panels on both of my Porsches and just recently, replaced all of the speakers in my 2009 C2S. The speaker grills are part of a larger panel molding, are either heat or sonically welded to the other plastic bits. On my dash, however, they can easily be removed... just be very careful and pry them straight up with a plastic trim remover. My rear speaker grills can be removed by prying off.

I agree with Marc as every time you remove these bits, it weakens them.

See this thread for a bit of insight.... it is a 997.2, but will give you some insight into the complexity of the door panels.

[www.6speedonline.com]

Removal is nice but not necessary... I just goop up a terry sponge or whatever and brush over the grills. Seems to work for me. I just don't spray because you may get the gunk on the speaker driver, or you will get a bit of spotting.... although no one will notice after a few days.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Lint free cloth, damp not wet with either water or vinylex or.?????

That way you wont get fuzzies or residue on the inside of the grill.

I pay no attention. If i'm attentive enough to treat my interior, i treat the grilles, and they should be happy about it :-)

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login