Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Am I the only one who would like to see a functioning analogue speedometer return, especially in the 718?

The analogue aspect of the speedometer in my 986 is totally useless, I've always figured they put it there so we won't feel like sissies for using the digital speedometer. The silly thing is that if they just made it larger or put a better-calibrated dial in, it would be useful. My wife's BMW 3-series has a useful analogue speedometer, I don't see why Porsche foolishly turned the dial into really nothing more than a bezel for the digital readout.

2001 Base, purchased in 2004, replaced engine at 130K+, RIP 2017
Yes
TheFarmer - 9 years ago
I gave up on the analog speedo about 10 years ago. What is the point? Analogue or digital, they are both wrong. But I live where speed cameras are everywhere. On the other hand, the tach - I live by the tach.
Who looks at the speedo? The best thing about a Porsche is that the rev counter, the only important gauge, is front and center. Anyone who drives aggressively only cares about the rev counter. Speed? Who cares, the only thing you are concerned about is if you can get 100 more rpms the next time you go into a corner.

F1 cars and Moto GP motorcycles don't even have speedos.

So, what, are you afraid of a speeding ticket?
Nascars, don't either. They just know the gear and RPMs needed to stay within pit road speeds. That being said, the digital comes in handy when driving about town or on the highway.
are as twisty and diabolical as a good race track!

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
grant
are as twisty and diabolical as a good race track!

Grant

Or as safe as a race track in the sense that everyone on the race track is focused on driving, everyone is driving in the same direction, there's no cross traffic or driveways to worry about.
When i got the digital speed in my 986, i thought it was waste. But i feel differently. If you are really driving, in general you don't have the opportunity to know how fast you are going. Its a distraction. but it can be useful, if its not too much of a distraction. In find the digital speed o about the only thing i CAN use, aside from the tach, but that requires split=-second recognition of what gear you are in and the relationship between RPMs and velocity.

So i have decided that i really don't miss the analog one (which in fact i still have but never use). Note that the location of both the digital and analog speed-os moved from early to late 986.

Now about that dipstick....

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
It just seems like such a waste of the dash landscape to include that stupid speedo. they should either make it usable or dump it and perhaps add another TFT screen (which could include a graphic speedo if desired.
I've become used to the setup in the 987 and 981 where the digital speedometer is in the bottom of the tachometer. You can glance and see both virtually at the same time, so less time to have your eyes off the road.

Another advantage for those of us who travel a lot and in different countries, the OBC in both the 987 and 981 allows to you to switch from mph to kph. I just do it while waiting to cross the border. In fact, I switch all the setting over to US measurements - temp, consumption - basically following the old saying "When in Rome....."

In that regard, my wife's BMW 3-series has a useless analogue speedometer, which only has readout in kph requiring you to constantly either convert kph to mph mentally to know your speed or have to look over at the GPS if we have it turned on.

In terms of accuracy (compared to GPS readout), the BMW is out by almost 5 mph, while my 981 is out by less than 2 mph.
By the time Porsche goes all digital, everyone else will too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login