Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
First Autocross
Spanky - 9 years ago
I've had my car for almost four years and never autocrossed. I just did my first autocross this past weekend. What a blast...
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2014 04:59PM by Harvey in FL. (view changes)
you can track it on marine traffic by punching in the name of the ship.
[www.marinetraffic.com]
Speaking from experience grinning smiley ..... I even took pics of the ship carrying my car as it went through the locks of the Panama Canal.

Such excitement!!!

Joanne
It was amazing how much I learned about the car and improved my driving skills. The next day was able to use the new skills in Autocross, which made it more exciting. I'll be sure to do the next DE again.

Joanne
AX is in fact my favorite.
Yes, you go faster in DE, and get 2 hours/day instead of 10 minutes of run time.

But at AX you can push your car to 9/10, 10/10 and yes, unsuccessfully, 11/10, but that's exactly the point - to experiment, learn and find the point of failure ( you or the car). All in a relatively safe, low-wear, cheap environment.

Off to WGI Thursday afternoon! Yipee!

Next NNJR AX Aug 23rd for those in the area
(Bruce, hint, hint)

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
So, I've had my car for about four years and I've never read the owner's manual or used many of its features. In fact, it's never been driven in the rain, so i've never even used the windshield wipers. The car is a base 987 with the Sports/Chrono package. I have complained mildly that my little car is fun to drive, but doesn't have enough power.

At AX, the instructor rode with me on my first lap and tells me turn turn off the PASM and turn on the "Sport" mode. I have never pushed either of these buttons. As I clear the start area which has an immediate 90-degree right turn to cross the start timer, I accelerate and light up the rear tires all the way through the shift into second. You should have seen the look on my face... I had no idea the little car would do that since I've always driving in non-sport mode and with the PASM on.

In my local PCA region, they have a Dummkopf award. I already won the Dummkopf award once... so I need to keep my mouth shut or this will cause me to be a repeat winner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2014 08:21PM by Spanky. (view changes)
Spanky
So, I've had my car for about four years and I've never read the owner's manual or used many of its features. In fact, it's never been driven in the rain, so i've never even used the windshield wipers. The car is a base 987 with the Sports/Chrono package. I have complained mildly that my little car is fun to drive, but doesn't have enough power.

At AX, the instructor rode with me on my first lap and tells me turn turn off the PASM and turn on the "Sport" mode. I have never pushed either of these buttons. As I clear the start area which has an immediate 90-degree right turn to cross the start timer, I accelerate and light up the rear tires all the way through the shift into second. You should have seen the look on my face... I had no idea the little car would do that since I've always driving in non-sport mode and with the PASM on.

In my local PCA region, they have a Dummkopf award. I already won the Dummkopf award once... so I need to keep my mouth shut or this will cause me to be a repeat winner.

It's amazing what you can learn by reading the manual. winking smiley

Just wondering if you wre referring to turning off PSM (Porsche Suspension Management). I would think if you have PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management) and turn it on, you car will handle better, as it tightens up the suspension.
Grant

1. When you push sport or sport +, PSM gets retarded a bit
2. you would typically turn PSM (stability management) off, not PASM ( PASM is not off or on but soft or hard or somesuch)
3. Turning off PASM would not cause wheel spin - lack of traction control would, and TC is a subset of PSM, not a subset of PASM

So i assume it was PSM that went off.

PSM should be off at AX in order to learn car control; to be able to use throttle steering, and to get the fastest times.
Yes, slightly spinning wheels is often the fastest way

Grant

Grant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login