Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
... a deer crossed the road at the wrong time?
Those woods look like prime deer country!
Happy Porscheing,
Pedro

This was, reportedly, a 50 lb deer hit at around 100 mph: [docs.google.com]

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2014 06:49PM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
Your video of a deer on a race track startled me. Where was that? VIR is famous for critters, btu that was not VIR

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
That poor 911. But the Boxster's owner has a nasty job ahead cleaning his car of all the gore.
I had to leave early on Sunday and wasn't there but my understanding is this was the 3rd green session. Speed was just over 125. The car had track insurance and is fixable, but you're right in that it won't be cheap. Right front was pretty much toast as Guenter lists.

No one was injured in any way. The driver had their face shield DOWN and had part of the right side mirror hit and damage the shield. I good lesson in why you should put your face shield down even in a closed cockpit. A lot of conversation in the region about safety at this track at the moment. sad smiley

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2014 10:19PM by Dave In MD. (view changes)
MarcW
That poor 911. But the Boxster's owner has a nasty job ahead cleaning his car of all the gore.

Does anyone know if the car was repaired?...and was the driver injured?

MIKELLIG
BLKBOXS
MarcW

of course struck the deer were injured.

The Boxster suffered no damage -- but obviously needs the mother of all car detailing.

The 911 suffered severe damage.

However, I believe the 911 can be repaired. Based only only what I could pick up from the video, the damage is to just bumper plastic or sheet metal and headlights, AC condensers, radiators, and other things that can be removed and replaced with new factory parts (my 996 Turbo went through this repair process back in 2009 after hitting a mule deer, though thankfully at no where the speed the car in the video hit its deer) and should be as good as new.
I believe it is totally repairable. When a car is that expensive, you can do a lot of repair work before the costs exceed the value.

Bigger question is his coverage. Back when, Nationwide would cover you on the track as long as "it was driver ed, no competition, and not a timed event" or something like that.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
to repair my 03 996 after the mule deer accident and that was with no air bag deployment. I know from my experience with my Cayman S when the air bags/seat belt pre-tensioners go off, the cost to repair takes another big jump up.

To me I have to say there is though just a hint of concern that given the severity of the impact -- air bags going off is indicative of that (as if the guts of the deer in the air wasn't indicative enough) -- that the tub/chassis could be bent. Not severely bent but bent nonetheless. Guess we'll have to wait and see if the owner choses to share any details of the damage and repair with the online community.

Oh, and it really highlights how important it is when one with his Porsche (or really any car) ventures onto any track, DE, auto-x course that he be darn sure he has insurance coverage on his car and is covered by extra liability insurance just in case.
Insurance coverage for DE events is a grey area in Ontario. That's why my DE track beast is a car I'm willing to (hopefully) walk away from if it all goes awry.

Chris - '01 Boxster - Seal Grey / Black / Black ; '87 944 Turbo (track beast) ; '86 944 - needs a new home!
MarcW
to repair my 03 996 after the mule deer accident and that was with no air bag deployment. I know from my experience with my Cayman S when the air bags/seat belt pre-tensioners go off, the cost to repair takes another big jump up.

To me I have to say there is though just a hint of concern that given the severity of the impact -- air bags going off is indicative of that (as if the guts of the deer in the air wasn't indicative enough) -- that the tub/chassis could be bent. Not severely bent but bent nonetheless. Guess we'll have to wait and see if the owner choses to share any details of the damage and repair with the online community.

Oh, and it really highlights how important it is when one with his Porsche (or really any car) ventures onto any track, DE, auto-x course that he be darn sure he has insurance coverage on his car and is covered by extra liability insurance just in case.

Very insightful as usual Marc! The driver posted today on another site that the shop working on the tear down reached out and they are discussing with the insurance company making it a total loss. No more detail than that yet.

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
BLKBOXS

It looked like the driver was OK. Most of the damage was to the right front so suspension, bumper, radiator, fender, hood. Not sure if there'd be any damage to the chassis alignment. The airbag had deployed, so that and I would think seatbelt would need to be replaced. The driver was lucky that the deer wasn't jumping, or it would have come through the windshield.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login