Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
... regarding the test road:
On U.S. 221, the tight, tree-lined kinks are intoxicating, even at 35 mph.
The closest thing to a scenic turnout is the 50-foot plunge off the outside of a decreasing-radios turn.
Shy of a road course, few stretches of pavement are this entertaining, this revealing of a car’s character.

They made a good road choice. Not so much car choice. They should have tested the M4 against the Cayman GTS if they were considering price as well.
Happy Porscheing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Pedro (Weston, FL)
They made a good road choice. Not so much car choice. They should have tested the M4 against the Cayman GTS if they were considering price as well.

That would be the correct comparison--not the stripped down, base 911. The GTS HP is close to the 911 and weight down just a bit so acceleration should be in the same ballbark. The GTS doesn't have rear seats, but then again the 911 doesn't either winking smiley.

As Guenter said, this all comes down to where the priorities are for the driver--lots of HP/TQ vs.a finely tuned chassis.

I can appreciate that most people will not take their cars to the track and that a route like US 221 might be the next best thing to comparing cars on an actual track circuit, but laps on a track really highlight where the significant differences are after some hot laps at speed.
EVO did a comparison between M235i and the base Cayman and while the latter was way down on TQ and HP, the differences in chassis refinement were significant; braking performance was even more pronounced with the BMW brakes giving out after a few laps which led to a Cayman win on the track. The video:
[www.youtube.com]
Pedro (Weston, FL)
... regarding the test road:
On U.S. 221, the tight, tree-lined kinks are intoxicating, even at 35 mph.
The closest thing to a scenic turnout is the 50-foot plunge off the outside of a decreasing-radios turn.
Shy of a road course, few stretches of pavement are this entertaining, this revealing of a car’s character.

Happy Porscheing
Pedro

One of the things this test really highlights, IMO, is that you just can't pick a "best car" using the numbers of a manufacturer or test report. Straight line acceleration is all well and good for drag racing. If you're priorities are real driving skills and road handling, feeling at one with the car - then numbers just don't cut it.

I think part of their comparison was to choose two top "coupes". That's why they chose the 991 rather than the Cayman. Of course, I wouldn't want to have to sit in the back "seat" of any 911. eye popping smiley When you look at the test scores, that's what won it for the BMW - back seat room and trunk space. Driving feel, fun, handling was all 991. Those are all things you can't measure with some instrument, but those are the things that really count for someone who really enjoys the art of driving a car.

I agree, that a Cayman S (properly optioned) or the GTS version would have made a better comparison - except that it doesn't have a back "seat". grinning smiley Handling, on the other hand, would have been an uptick. smiling smiley
... that apparently your radio's volume decreases on some tight turns while driving US221 winking smiley

Happy Porscheing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Pedro (Weston, FL)
... that apparently your radio's volume decreases on some tight turns while driving US221 winking smiley

Happy Porscheing,
Pedro

I think I read radius in the article. In either case, my radio is not effected by the curves at all. On the other hand, I find my main stereo system seems to build into a fabulous crescendo in and out of the curves. smiling bouncing smiley
... when I cut and pasted the paragraph, PB's spell checker must have replaced radius with radios.
Sometimes spell checkers can get you into trouble.
Happy Porscheing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Pedro (Weston, FL)
... when I cut and pasted the paragraph, PB's spell checker must have replaced radius with radios.
Sometimes spell checkers can get you into trouble.
Happy Porscheing
Pedro

Yes, like the lady that emailed her boss to say she was off work because she was in bed with a bad clown. eye popping smiley
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login