Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Hopefully this question will be moot as I just attempted cleaning my MAF with the CRC cleaner.

However, if I need to change the MAF, I can choose from 2 versions. The 2000 986S came with an original e-gas version of the MAF, and that's what's in my car now (Porsche part # 996.606.124.00 & Bosch part # 0-280-218-009).

Porsche updated the MAF twice since the original version. In order to install the latest version (Porsche part # 986.606.125.01 & Bosch part # 0-280-218-055), a car that came with the original e-gas MAF (like mine) must have the ECU reflashed.

I had my ECU replaced around 2005. While I still have the original MAF, I wonder if I can replace it with the latest version without reflashing the ecu)?

I have not found any information describing the differences in the updated MAF or what the ECU reflash affects, but the newer MAF costs a few bucks less than the original.

If there turns out to be some advantage to installing the newer MAF, and I need to have the ECU reflashed, is that a job for the dealer, or can an independent Porsche shop do it (w/o PST2)?
ones in your area and ask.

Wherever you do have this done, you'll have to ask if you can reinstall the original MAF and will it be compatible with the (possibly) updated ECU (at least its FLASH contents). This could require the shop connect the Porsche diagnostics computer and query the ECU to find out what version of FLASH (firmware) it has and determine then if this is compatible with the original MAF.

I think it pretty safe to say that not many (as in nearly none to none...) after having the ECU updated have wanted to or tried to go back to the original MAF.

Frankly, I'd be surprised if you could , if this would work, but ask.
Thanks for the insight.

The reason I ask is I wonder whether I can purchase the newer MAF instead of the old model and not have to reflash since my ECU was replaced a few years ago.

I am guessing the answer is no. I'll call the dealer and see what the damage would be to do the flash, but I have yet to find any info on why the newer MAF is preferable over the old style.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login