Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I picked up Automobile Magazine for a recent plane flight. The one with the proposed 718 on the cover.

In the review, the Magazine suggested that the original plan was to insert the 718 as a $40K four cylinder. The Cayman would be above and the Boxster between the Cayman and the 911.

Then they said that the changes in plans by the likes of Alfa Romeo and Mazda are causing a rethink. They suggest it is possible that the 718 will come in as slated. The Cayman will stay where it is and the Boxster will be no more.

That strikes me as really stupid. You have an established brand and a model lineup (leave aside that it makes no sense for the coupe to be more than the convertible). Why abandon it for an alphanumeric code?

Like anything else, this might be just drivel to sell magazines, but ...
In that line of thought, maybe the Cayman will be the coupe 718--downsize both Boxster and Cayman--to provide a bit more gap between the 718s and the 911s. I think the Cayman is getting too close to the 911 base coupe for Porsche/VW's liking. Also, if it's smaller, then people can't stuff the 911 engine into either the convertible or coupe 718 like they are now doing for track cars. Wonder how much better a GT3 that isn't on fire is than a converted Cayman on the track? A Frankenstein Cayman is probably a whole heck of a lot cheaper than a GT3, too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login