Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
As I was doing brakes, I found the driver's side, front bump stop ripped in two pieces. It looks like the bottom separated from the top. Both pieces remain on the strut shaft.

I think I cannot just leave this can I? No symptoms, just visualized the problem.

To fix I have to open up the strut. Right? THis ain't gonna be inexpensive....

Thoughts.
as long as both pieces move freely, they will serve their purpose. I bet you rarely even get close to hitting the stops anyhow.

Steve

Steve
Guards Red 1999
I'm not a race car driver, but I play one in 2nd and 3rd gear grinning smiley
But I don't want to cheap out for no good reason.
and hopefully you rarely hit them.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
then it's probably no longer very effective as a bump stop. Usually when you hit the bump stop it's because you're hitting a sharp bump, which carries a lot of force to damage the car.

To replace the bump stop you have to remove the strut assembly from the car, which is a lot of work. If you ever replace the springs, I highly recommend getting all of the parts upfront (strut bearing, protective sheath, yada yada -- look at the parts diagram).
I wonder what caused it to deteriorate in the first place. I pretty much baby the car.

I just replaced the front brakes for the first time @ 65,000 miles. During the work I discovered the damage. It was a big surprise as I understood those to basically be solid rubber and nearly indestructible... Obviously not.

I will be giving the car a complete once over after I do the CV repair.

I noticed a bunch of piddly problems with the plastic accessories under the car. I am sure there is more to find. But I better look.
I just replaced mine and the old ones were more or less useless, definitely weren't doing their job.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login