Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I've run into a couple issues replacing the oxygen sensor, and they result from the aftermarket exhaust headers I had installed on the car over 10 years ago. Back then, they were new and the only headers available for the Boxster. I have learned about my situation from my recollection of the mods, inspecting the current setup, and posting here and on Rennlist.

The headers removed the pre cats (quick warming set up front that would have been integrated with the factory headers). The front oxy sensors are located in bungs created in the headers.

The rear oxy sensors were located aft of the main (rear) cats. They are mounted in the bungs on the cats themselves, indicating that likely the rear cats were swapped out for the type used in the 1997-99 model year cars which had the bungs integrated in the cats. In order to connect the rear sensors to this 1999 location on a 2000 car, the sensor leads had to be extended.

My first issue is locating the sensor plug. It is not near the sensor. I have not been able to follow the lead from the sensor to the engine, although if I spend more time under the car, it seems like it must be traceable. A helpful member of Rennlist provided the following: "after cat O2s connect to connecters bolted to the heads on the rear of the engine next to the black steel chassis crossmember." I wish I could find decent photos of this.

The second issue involves extending the leads. I purchased a Bosch 15183 which has the connect attached. I need to determine the amount the wires need to be lengthened, the type of wire to use, and how to splice it. Another member on Rennlist suggested crimping over soldering, as soldering introduces resistance. But does that depend on the skill of the person soldering? Are certain crimp connectors better suited for this application?

Thank you for any insight from the you folks who have experience with these kinds of issues!
Is just above the flexible heat shield. Not that you have to, but if you remove the rear bumper they are in plain sight. I'll post a pic when I get a chance.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login