Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.

The only thing I can imagine is that the tech who replaced my engine years ago dropped it on a the hanging shaft. There is no other way it could be bent that way. I am absolutely stunned it took this long to fail, and that the boot failed first.

As you might expect, the boot was twisted all over, but it didn't leak. It was the extra stretch on one side that caused the failure.

This just reconfirms my previously stated HATRED of deal techs.

EVERY FRIGGIN' time I let them touch a car, they do something wrong. In this case pretty fantastically wrong.
... Straighten it back to shape.
It's very soft material.
It's just the cover to hold the boot and the grease.
The CV joint is probably intact.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
That's just the soft metal cover. Most CVs (that i have seen) don't have one - the boot forms that portion. If the shaft isnt bent and the CV balls and race were not impacted, i'd just pull it back in place with pliers or your innovative idea.

But yes, someone was careless. Too often they are, i share your opinion - one of several reasons i do my own work is that i do it so much better - or at least with so much more care, inspection etc. especially on a track car, its my life.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
it is at the point at which the shaft was most heavily deflected when it was bent. If you have the shaft nearly straight, you don't feel it at all. In basic driving, it probably barely touches it.

But it is clearly there. Based upon how long THIS mess lasted, I might be able to bend it close to roundish and reinstall. I might last another couple years. (or not). If I put it back in, it makes me worse than them. I can drive the car knowing that this is failing like that. Even though it will give me plenty of warning of its impending death.

BTW - The cap in the inside CV was all scarred up too. Not dented or bent just scraped all to hell. Really? who pays these gorillas.

Now that I see how robust the axle is, I am debating (although not that seriously) an e-bay (used) purchase. There are several out there for around $150. I already have the boots etc. I can clean and repack one of those for 1/8th the price of new.

Then again, that seems like cheaping out. I have a Porsche. I should treat it correctly.... just bite the bullet, buy what is needed and know it is right and fine and will be bulletproof for the life of the car?

I thought about buying new before I found this pretzel, now .....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login