Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
GT3 crash
Roger987 - 9 years ago
Once the rear end started coming around, is there something he could/should have done to save it?

[www.youtube.com]
Re: GT3 crash
San Rensho - 9 years ago
Yes, as soon as his back end came around, he should have stayed on the gas and gone to opposite lock but as you can see he froze and his wheels were stIll turned left, when they should have been all the way to the right. It may have saved him, but in that situation unless you are really good, once you catch it, many times it will just start to spin to the right, especially of you are off the gas or on the brakes.
Yep. That said
grant - 9 years ago
Easier said than done when your gut is screaming to back off and save your skin.

Except it doesn't work that way :-)

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
The drive of the GT3 was a crash waiting to happen.
The driver is obviously not an experienced track junkie.
At the particular turn where he lost it, when he started to slide, he could have drifted through if he'd stayed on the gas.
He got scared and lifted and that sealed his fate.
Happy Porscheing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
[www.youtube.com]

About the 4 minute mark.
He's going downhill, coming up on a slower car and left hand turn.
He goes into a 4 wheel drift, but does a masterful job of counter steering to keep the car going in the right direction.
I'm not sure it's the quickest way down the 'ring, but pretty damn amazing to watch. The 918 world record lap seem serene by comparison: http://youtu.be/JTGvHskGKI4
jlegelis
I'm not sure it's the quickest way down the 'ring, but pretty damn amazing to watch. The 918 world record lap seem serene by comparison: http://youtu.be/JTGvHskGKI4

My lord--one slide after another for the better part of15 minutes, going down a narrow road, with nothing but guard rails and trees to keep you from going over a big drop--great fun! sad smiley.
He certainly has great car control but he's clearly showing off his drifting skills.
Look how he destabilizes the car just before the turn in point so thT he can save it with counter steer.
Not the fastest way at all.
Happy Porschsing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
True, but i wish i could go around the ring that slowly. And with those car control skills :-)

Grant

Grant

Growing up as a teenager on the PA/Ohio border back when we seemed to have a ton of snow, icy roads, lousy snow tires, no traction control, and as much beer as we could steal, I was pretty darn good at drifting. While that guy may be a trained driver, can he beat a teenager on snowy back roads around the reservoir with a beer in one hand, something burning in the other, and behind the wheels of a 1970 Buick Skylark? Ha!

Peace
Bruce in Philly
[www.yidio.com]

Grant

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2014 10:07AM by grant. (view changes)
Clearly he's done this more than once.

I recall passing on a snowy road en route to VT many, many years ago. I started fish-tailing with a car to my right and a railing to my left, the tail wagged 3-4 times before i got it under control. I learned that pendulums go back and forth, and that i over-reacted. Better, however, than under-reacting.

The big problem is that all this takes practice, and the consequences of practice can be severe.

Grant

Grant

There was a friend on ppbb who trashed his GT3 on Road Atlanta... He was fine, but we never heard from him again afterwards. As far as I know, he still has his RUF Boxster (I'm pretty sure it was a Biarritz white 2000 - pre-S)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login