Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
The Radnor Concours d'Elegance is the Pebble Beach of the east coast... or so they want to be. Just a fantastic event!! Opens at 9:00, Sept 14.

Porsche Club is offering discounts.... max cool.

From their announcements:

For our eighteenth year, we will have Classic Chrysler, Formula One Grid and “Powered by Ford” as the featured classes. We are seeking nominations from owners of 1920s, 1930s and 1940s era Chryslers, especially custom-bodied cars. The Formula One Grid is exactly that; F1 cars from the most challenging form of motorsports on the earth. Powered by Ford is our third featured class, and is intended for cars such as Sunbeam Tiger, DeTomaso Pantera, Shelby Cobra and Iso Grifo, but anything with a Ford engine under the hood is eligible for nomination.
Our motorcycle field featured classes are H.R.D. Vincent, Brough Superior and Under 250cc Bikes Prior to 1974.

The website: [radnorconcours.org]

For my take on the event with pictures and some humor:

[travelthroughpictures.com]

I will be there..... you will recognize me as a guy taking pictures and annoying the hell out of everyone. Canon camera in one hand, beer in the other, slobbering over some exotic (car that is).

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Great photography tips, Bruce.
Enjoyed the narrative and the photos.

The paint on the DB2 Mark lll is gorgeous.

And that light blue car beside the DB2 Vantage - hints of Panamera?
Great pics, Bruce
MikenOH - 9 years ago
I particularly liked the AM DHC. I thought Jaguar had the lock on hinged bonnet assemblies --very slick.
Also, the in line 6 motor--looks a lot like the Jaguar power plant of the era; did these companies share motors or was that AM's own engine?
Roger987

The paint on the DB2 Mark lll is gorgeous.

I wonder sometimes if these cars aren't actually better than what came out of the factory. These owners have Bucket's O' Money and they do whatever it takes to make them fantastic.

Regardless, I love seeing these cars. One thing that jumps out at you when you examine the engines and system technology, is that there is not much new today. If you take out the electronic controls systems (ECU) of today, and consequently, what they enable, newer cars are pretty much the same stuff. The old engineers envisioned the stuff we have today.... either the control systems didn;t exist or the costs were prohibitive.... but they knew what to do. Its all in there.

Now if you like your classics in the raw, try the Simeone museum near the Philly airport. Just wow!!! Dr Simeone wants real race cars and wants them in the condition they were raced.... with tape and dents and rubber marks. The real deal...... No foot-deep paint. You must go to this meseum once in your life.

[simeonemuseum.org]

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2014 11:03PM by Bruce In Philly (2000 S Boxster, now '09 C2S). (view changes)
I agree about the quality of the parts / paint on these cars. The technology and materials to create these seemingly flawless cars just didn't exist back when they were first produced. Undoubtedly, they were the creme de la creme in their day.

That Simeon museum looks like quite the place. Looking at some of those early cars, sure makes my 20" wheels look kind of puny. smiling smiley

One of the things that always jumps out at me is how empty the engine bays of older cars were compared to the cars of the last couple of decades with all of their plumbing and wiring. And, of course now, they cover all that stuff up with plastic covers to make it look tidy and simple.
a camera but there could be a lot of those. If I am there I will be wearing a black brace belt due to recent spinal fusion surgery.

Jeff Benson:

2016 Boxster, See it here: www.greatvalleyhouse.com/Boxster

First car: 1952 Hudson Hornet

First roadster: 1962 Austin Healy 3000 III

Still have: Computer free 1974 MGB

Previous Porsches since 1982: 924, 944, 944S, and four Boxsters; 97, 03, 08 & 2012
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login