Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Porsche is building an F-car challenger, and now, MB is building a 911 challenger: MB 911 Challenger
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
.. In the article.

In the world of German luxury cars, there are no prisoners taken among Mercedes-Benz, BMW and the newly combined Porsche-Volkswagen conglomerate.
Yet in the half-century since Porsche launched the 911, Mercedes has never brought out a sports car that matched the 911 head-on.
That changed today with this: the Mercedes-AMG GT — a two-seat, rear-wheel-drive, 463-hp tourer that takes dead aim at the 911 and others.

1.- MB never brought out a sports car to compete against the 911 (when the 911 was a sports car).
2.- A 2 seat tourer to compete with Porsche's 2 door tourer.

If MB wants to compete with a Porsche sports car they'll have to go against the Cayman/Boxster.
The 911 stopped being a sports car about 10 years ago.

Happy Porscheing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
the factory exclusively* (in the literal sense of the word "exclusive" ) campaigns the 911 in "sport" events. Yes, on the street it's a GT, as in "Grand Tourer," but the same can be said for the Boxster. And other than the GT3, a 911 variant, and other, more rare variants, they've always had four seats, so that's not a defining factor either.

* My understanding.
Laz
the factory exclusively* (in the literal sense of the word "exclusive" ) campaigns the 911 in "sport" events. Yes, on the street it's a GT, as in "Grand Tourer," but the same can be said for the Boxster. And other than the GT3, a 911 variant, and other, more rare variants, they've always had four seats, so that's not a defining factor either.

* My understanding.

How very true.....fine crusiers all, but still crusiers, not pure sports cars. It's all a matter of degree. Sporty, nonetheless. smileys with beer

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Gary in SoFL
Laz

* My understanding.

How very true.....fine crusiers all, but still crusiers, not pure sports cars. It's all a matter of degree. Sporty, nonetheless. smileys with beer

I think that's where the market is--sporty, fast cars with lots of creature comforts.
The more raw the car--no air, very firm suspension, racing seats--the smaller the market.
The first generation ('97) was lighter weight, lower power, less frills and driver assists. Much more driver input and skill required? I realize that technology and lighter weight materials are generally beneficial, but the rawness of the experience has disappeared.

It seems to be the natural progression of sports cars these days. Appeal to the masses.

Sorry about hijacking the OP thread.
The Boxster is slowly going through the same transformation as the 911.
That's why I've kept my '97 built 986 all these years.
People want all these dodahs. But at least they are two seaters.
I can't wait to see if Porsche does indeed go back to its roots with the rumored 718 in 2016.
That'll be my next Porsche.
Happy waiting
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
In all of our talk on this board we give kudos to our cars (Boxsters/Caymans). Nothing wrong with that. I loved my '99 and love my '08 as much as any other owner. I don't know what makes a car a "sports" car, but it is not a racing car. Yes, you can race any car, or do DE in it, but that does not make it a race car. So, if it not a race car, what is a "sports" car? And, why so much posturing about our cars as sports cars when there is the Lotus out there? 2,000 pounds! In every car rag I have read, the Lotus handles better than any car you can drive on the roads. Ride: it will cost you some dental work. Practicality: Zip. I'd love to drive one, but not own one. Too impractical (can't hold my golf clubs smiling smiley, and too raw. So, maybe next to a Boxster/Cayman the new MB and 911s are not sports cars. But, maybe next to a Lotus, neither is a Boxster. But, whatever my Boxster is, it fits me is so many ways, I don't care if is there is a truer "sports" car out there. My guess is that many new MB and 911 owners feel the same way. just my 2 cents, flame away.
Right on, Bob(tesa). No car does everything well. (And some cars do nothing well.) Boxsters are great cars on twisty public roads. I had an '00 S and now have a '14 S. Truly great for the winding back roads of Northern California, but not at all great for cruising the Interstates and adequate, but no more than that, for a racetrack. For the racetrack I use an older D Sport Racer (1000 lbs wet, serious aero downforce, 173 RWHP). For the Interstates I use a Highlander (which also tows my racecar). The Highlander isn't great at anything, but tows and cruises adequately. The Boxster is my daily driver -- and it's a truly fine car.
Pedro, we've never met, and I'm in Cambodia right now, but if I ever make it to Florida, I'm going to come in and buy you a drink.

That's the smartest thing I've seen written on this board since I joined 10 years ago.

2001 Base, purchased in 2004, replaced engine at 130K+, RIP 2017
[autoweek.com]

I like the styling--especially how the rear was handled.

With all the advanced materials used I'm thinking the car's weight will be down relative to the usual high weights of MB specialty cars.

They mention a "Ring" time of 7:30--plenty fast!
A few years ago I had a Cobra Daytona Coupe (Factory 5). Front engine, front tranny. 55% of the weight was on the rear wheels. The car handled terribly -- serious understeer, then snap oversteer. I don't think there's any way to predict a car's performance by reading the specs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login