Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
OK, it might have more to do with and old, tired license plate holder. In fact, it's now sucked off twice, both times at WGI oddly.

But the fact remains, i need to do a better job of attaching my rear license plate to the car. For those with amnesia, 2000 Boxster S.

After it pulled mostly off (hanging by a thread) last year, i took it all apart, removed the fiber anchors (they push into the bumper cover and then expand when one puts the screws into them), but added some silicone sealant to tighten and hopefully expand inside the bumper cover. for a year it worked.

Monday the plate sucked off entirely, and a nice course worker came in with it "this was between 1 and 2".

Is this common with age? Is it simply a matter of getting new fiber anchors? Is it better to do something else ( maybe a better job with silicone or contact cement?)

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
I have the same issue, although mine hasn't fallen completely off (yet). One of the two license plate screws is considerably weaker. Last year, I went to the hardware store and bought a slightly larger screw... so far so good; however, I can still see the plate vibrate when the kid or the wife is driving my car on an autocross run.
1. the little fiber anchors, are, amazingly, available and replacement parts. Tow are waiting for me at the local Porsche store.

2. In my case it was not larger screw that were useful, but longer ones. The factory ones were not sufficiently long to go in deep enough to expand the fiber behind the bumper cover. In fact, they may have hit bottom and begun to pull them out!

So far it sees solid.

Grant

Grant

Seriously, there are times when a person has to go fast with a plate attached. I purchased my Boxster in Scottsdale and drove it home to Minneapolis. The car was under warranty and I took it up to 130 on a 2 lane road in the desert on an Indian reservation just to test it out. That is one of the few occasions that come to mind where a high speed run with a plate attached is necessary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2014 08:01PM by SteveJ (2010 987 base, manual trans). (view changes)
may car is just not that fast.

But the combination of speed, rough curbs/tracks, etc does wreck havok with my plate. Yes, i could remove it, btu its a street driven car and that means on/off several times per event to go to get fuel, to the hotel, etc.

In addition, the glue i used to secure the fasteners adheres to the screws. I might weaken what little strength i have....

Grant

Grant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login