Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Window Regulator
Greg - 9 years ago
Two years ago I replaced the window regulator on my passenger door for my 99. The plastic piece that guides the cable where it enters one of the pulleys broke off. I chalked it up to wear and tear. Well, two years later and I think it broke again. I haven't opened the door to figure out where it broke but I can tell something isn't right in there.

Both times it seemed like it broke when the window reached the fully closed position. I also know that both times the convertible top was down.

It was a pain in the butt job last time to fix and of course it is the money for the part. When I'm in there this time, what should I look for that could be causing this issue?

Greg
1999 Boxster
not reset. That the thing broke when it reached the fully closed position suggests there is where the most strain occurs and this suggest the regulator is trying to raise the window past where it should.
How does one reset the window limit? If I recall, I think I adjusted all items on the new regulator to match the old one. Maybe that wasn't enough.

Greg
1999 Boxster
they have changed.

Press the lower button and hold until the window is all the way down. Release the button. Then press and hold the raise button and continue to hold for 5 seconds even after the window is all the way up. This sets the limit. I believe I can hear a faint click from the door after a few seconds after the window has gone all the way up.

Repeat for the other window.
I'll give that a try, Marc. I'll also check the manual. I know that when you unplug the battery there is a procedure to get the windows to auto close and auto open. That one, I believe, is to raise and lower the windows 3 or 5 times.

Greg
1999 Boxster
... S U C K ! ! !
The limit position has nothing to do with them breaking.
The design of the regulator puts a lot of strain on the plastic piece when the window is at its highest point (whether the limits have been reset or not.
I've been able to repair some regulators by replacing the broken plastic piece with a bicycle brake adjustment screw.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2014 10:49PM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
Pedro,

Any hints or direction on how to do that repair? I'm trying to also figure out why one went bad in 2 years.

Greg
1999 Boxster
If the plastic parts are so bad, how do you explain the long life I got from both window regulators which didn't break but just wore out?

Also, I am not alone for these window regulators do not appear based on the lack of reports on the forums a particularly premature failure prone part.

I believe the OP has an adjustment problem with the regulator that the resetting the limits probably won't help with but I offered this up in the absence of having any other suggestion other than to recheck the regulator's installation and adjustment.
Porsche plastic is crap.
Starting with the foam in the A/C to the window regulator and every other plastic part in between including the "special" plastic paint some cars have on the center console and other interior trim.
We replace or repair these window regulators regularly because of the same broken plastic piece.
I don't have exact numbers but I'll wager that at least 25% of cars have a window regulator failure by the time they hit 100k miles.
There are many, many cars with broken regulators that don't know they're broken.
In most of them the window won't drop when the latch is pulled.
I don't have explanations for your car Marc. It's special. I've never seen a worn out regulator, just broken ones.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2014 09:24PM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
... expansion tanks that crack from heat cycling and age

... plastic snaps that snap, btu not always an intended :-)

... ditto the washer fluid bottles

... ditto many of the (older, 986) interior parts, levers, etc.

I wont say they are vastly worse than all others, but there are better competitors. Many older porsches use Audi circa 1980s parts, while Audi/VW had migrated to much better feel and durability parts by ~1991 (e.g.: my 1991 90q20v). The turn signal stalks, switches, door pulls, etc are straight from my 1984 Audi 4000s quattro.

So i'll equivocate a bit on "suck", but largely i think plastic bits are one of their weaker areas. Along with IMS bearings and track-level oiling.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login