Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
After being out of town for two months, I started my Boxster up yesterday and the red coolant light started flashing -- which means low coolant, right? I assumed that maybe the coolant needed to circulate and after the engine had run for a bit the light stopped flashing. Today, though, the light started flashing again, leading me to believe that I am low on coolant. I'll check the level tomorrow, but assuming that is the case, can I just use regular coolant from Joe's Exxon, or do I need some sort of super duper special Porsche coolant?

Thanks.

2001 Base, purchased in 2004, replaced engine at 130K+, RIP 2017
mixing anti-freezes.

So if Porsche anti-freeze is in the system you should use Porsche anti-freeze to top the system level up. If you have put something else in there then use whatever you put in.

Or you can just use distilled water. The chances are the cap is leaking and this allows just water vapor to escape. So while the fluid level is low the ratio of anti-freeze to water is higher than it would be otherwise so adding water will bring this back into balance.

After you add the water you can test the mixture for how low a temperature it can tolerate before it freezes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login